Policy on Privacy
Policy Category: Executive
Effective Date: 9/13/2023
Responsible Officer: General Counsel
Responsible Office: Office of the General Counsel
This policy discloses the privacy practices for wit.edu and for subdomains of wit.edu, and for content using other third-party vendors whose services Wentworth Institute of Technology (the university) may be using.
This policy sets out how Wentworth Institute of Technology uses and protects any information that you give Wentworth Institute of Technology when you use wit.edu, a wit.edu subdomain, as well as other information you may provide to us directly.
This policy applies to all members of the Wentworth community, students, faculty, staff, affiliates, third-party vendors who create digital content, and users of the website.
This policy applies to digital content hosted on the university’s websites that is used in furtherance of the university’s delivery of programs, services, or activities.
Wentworth Institute of Technology is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected.
Our website and third-party services are subject to the laws of the United States. If you are located outside of the United States and submit personal information to us, your information will be used as described in this policy and will be stored in the United States.
Information Provided by Your Browser
- The collection of this information is intended to help Wentworth deliver a useful service. We may use your Personally Identifiable Information and Personal Information to analyze trends, create aggregated reports for determining technical design specifications, and to otherwise aid in monitoring website performance.
- By visiting wit.edu, Wentworth Institute of Technology may collect Personal Information in aggregate by setting a cookie on your browser to gather information about our website which is used in aggregate to improve the performance of the website.
- Some third-party cookies or pixel tags may originate from other websites such as social media services or services intended to track visitor interactions and serve interest-based advertising. We use this information to better understand how users are using the website and to improve or personalize the online experience. You may change or remove your cookie settings by reviewing your internet browser’s cookie options.
The Information You Provide
- The information you provide includes personally identifiable information from you when you fill out a form or register for an event. You can choose not to provide this information, but you may not be able to take advantage of personalization features.
- We may use your personally identifiable information to contact you to respond to your requests or inquiries, process transactions, provide you with invitations and other information that we believe may be of interest to you, and conduct research or surveys to help us understand the needs of our users.
- We may use your personally identifiable information to contact you via SMS text messaging to communicate about your application, financial aid information, emergency alerts, event reminders, registration, and other information. You may opt out of some SMS messages.
Additional Information & Related Documents
- Policy on Record Management
- Policy on Texting (In Development)
Interpretation & Revision
Any questions of the interpretation regarding this policy shall be referred to the Office of the General Counsel. They will be the final authority regarding the interpretation of this policy.
This policy shall be reviewed every three years; however, minor changes and updates can be made at any time.
Wentworth will typically apply the policy in place at the time it receives a report concerning the respected policy.
Additionally, in instances where two or more policies are implicated, a case-by-case determination will be made to determine what policy will be used.
Review & Revision History
This policy was drafted by representatives from Marketing & Communications and the Division of Technology Services. It was approved by the President on 9/13/2023.