Refund Policy for Tuition Accounts
A refund will be issued to the student or parent only when there is an actual credit balance on the tuition account.
Institutional and federal financial aid will disburse/credit to students' tuition accounts approximately four to five weeks into the semester if all the financial aid requirements are complete.
Nelnet Campus Commerce is the processor for student and parent refunds. Students must activate their refund account on the Nelnet system by following these steps:
- Log into Leopardweb - https://leopardweb.wit.edu
- Click on the "Student" tab
- Click on "Manage Your Refund or Payment Plan" and complete your profile on the Nelnet system
The Student Accounts Office recommends that students update their refund preference to direct deposit to avoid lost or stolen checks. Please note that the cost to stop and re-issue a paper check may incur a fee charged to the student's account.
- Fall Semester - Refunds are available mid October
- Spring Semester - Refunds are available approximately mid February
- Summer Semester - Refunds are available approximately mid June
Typically, there will not be a credit balance until all institutional and federal aid disburses. Once this occurs and if it creates a credit balance, any remaining credit(s) will be refunded as follows, in this order:
- If a credit balance is a result of federal Stafford loans, alternative loans and/or grants, the refund will be issued to the student based on the refund option they choose
- If a credit balance is the result of a Parent PLUS Loan, the refund will be issued to the parent borrower. Refunds from proceeds of the PLUS will be issued to the student only if the parent requests it on the PLUS application
- If a credit balance is a result of payment plan payments, the refund will be issued to the student. Any credit balances that result from overpayment of a payment plan will not be refunded until the plan is completed and/or withdrawn
- If a credit balance is a result of a credit card payment, and the payment was made within the past 90 days, the refund will be credited back to the credit card used for the transaction. If the credit card payment was made more than 90 days ago, the refund will be issued to the student based on the method of disbursement they have selected
- If a credit balance is a result of payments made by or loans in the name of parents who are separated or divorced, Wentworth will refund to the student
Wire Payments and Credit Balances
Wentworth accepts wire payments via Flywire as one of the methods for students and families to remit tuition payment(s). Please wire the exact amount due on your E-Bill. Any payments above the student account balance will be returned to Flywire.
Refund Timelines and Expectations
Students can expect to receive a refund from a credit balance within fourteen days from the date the credit balance appears on their E-Bill. Credit balances will be processed according to the following timeframe only if all financial aid requirements have been completed. The dates below are approximate and are subject to change.
Credit balances for a specific semester will not be processed until after the add/drop period ends for that semester.
For most students, credit balances are the result of federal financial aid. Financial aid will not disburse until four to five weeks into the semester. If students are planning to use financial aid to buy books or pay for living expenses, please budget appropriately to cover those costs out of pocket before being reimbursed by your student loans according to the timeframe below.
Expected Financial Aid Disbursement
- Fall: The first or second week of October
- Spring: The first or second week of February
- Summer: The first or second week of June
- Refunds Sent: Within fourteen days from the date the credit balance is applied to the student's E-Bill