Withdrawing from Wentworth
Leave of Absence or Withdrawal for Undergraduate Students
All Wentworth students must register for classes each semester (excluding freshman and sophomore summer semesters) until graduation. Students who decide not to register for classes for one semester only must fill out a Leave of Absence (LOA) form. Students are also encouraged to inform faculty advisors and/or student success advisors about their plans so that their upcoming semester plans can be adjusted.
A Leave of Absence is for one (1) semester only; if a student does not submit an Academic Reinstatement form following the LOA, the student will be administratively withdrawn from Wentworth.
- Students who take a leave of absence will be reviewed for a refund in accordance with the institutional policies outlined in the WIT academic catalog.
- Students receiving federal and/or institutional aid must contact Financial Aid for more information.
- Any student who lives in Wentworth housing and is taking an LOA for a semester must obtain a signature from Housing and Residential Life on their LOA form. Failure to check out with Housing and Residential Life could result in penalties and fines; therefore, this petition is incomplete until the student checks out at the Housing and Residential Life Office.
A Voluntary Withdrawal is the appropriate course of action when a student plans to leave Wentworth for more than one semester (or permanently/indefinitely). A grade of "W" will be assigned to all courses attempted in the effective semester as long as the form is submitted by the deadline published in the Academic Calendar. If a Voluntary Withdrawal Petition is submitted after the deadline, final grades will be recorded instead of "W" grades and the date of withdrawal noted on the transcript will reflect the end date of that semester.
A student who voluntarily withdraws from Wentworth Institute of Technology may apply for reinstatement to the Dean's Office of their desired School at least eight weeks prior to the beginning of the return semester. The Dean's Office of the School will notify the student and the Registrar's Office whether the reinstatement is approved.
Students who are transferring from Wentworth to another institution sometimes utilize the Common Application, a standardized form accepted by many colleges. Students should be aware that Wentworth will use the Common Application Report solely to report the student's academic and disciplinary standing. Since Wentworth does not rank its students, no ranking will be provided. This also not a personal recommendation form; students who need a letter of recommendation should speak their instructors or advisor.
- The student must submit a Transcript Request through www.getmytranscript.com in order to accompany the Common Application Process.
- The student must complete the Student Information section and sign the form where indicated.
An Administrative Withdrawal is an internal withdrawal of students not registered for a required subsequent semester within 15 days of the last day of final exams (per the academic calendar). A student who meets these criteria will be administratively withdrawn from Wentworth by the Registrar's Office.
All of these forms can be found on the Registrar Forms page.