Skip to main content

Residential Education: Conduct, Policies, and Procedures

Wentworth Residential Education strives to offer students a rich living and learning experience. To foster this environment, students are responsible for their individual actions, the actions of their guests, and in a collective sense for the actions of each member of the residential community. An atmosphere conducive to academic growth and social awareness requires everyone’s cooperation. The starting point for this communal success is individual adherence to University policies as well as federal, state, and local laws. All students are held responsible for knowing, understanding, and complying with the policies that govern the University and the residence halls.   

These policies and procedures outlined below are subject to change during the academic year and it is the student’s responsibility to know the current policies and regulations. 

The University reserves the right to temporarily suspend a student from residence halls who behaves in a manner that is viewed to be a risk to the community or themselves until an administrative review can be conducted. The student is solely responsible for finding housing accommodations during this time.  

Additionally, Wentworth  Residential Education, Public Safety and other University staff reserve the right to revoke a visitor's access to a residence area if the guest disturbs or creates any difficulties for other residents. 

Residential Education Policies

  • Responsible Use of Alcohol in Residential Living Area Policy

    The Responsible Use of Alcohol in Residential Living Policy allows students of legal drinking age to attain Responsible User status and possess a limited amount of beer or wine in their living space. Hard alcohol is not permitted anywhere on campus.

    The Responsible Use of Alcohol in Residential Living Policy applies to students who are 21 years or older and reside in The Apartments@525, 555 Huntington Avenue, 610 Huntington Avenue, and Louis Prang and Vancouver apartments.

    • Students under the age of 21 cannot consume alcohol no matter where they reside on campus.
    • No alcohol is allowed in Baker Hall, Evans Way Hall or Tudbury Hall at any time.

    In suites/apartments, the students who are 21 years or older and meet the responsible user criteria are permitted to have only one of the following:

    • Six (6) 12 oz. beers
    • Six (6) prepackaged/premeasured 12 oz. beverages such as “Mikes Hard Lemonade”
    • One (1) 1.5-liter bottle of wine
    • Any alcohol that a Responsible User student possesses must be stored in the student’s bedroom.
    • To be able to possess and store alcohol in a bedroom, all residents of that bedroom must be 21 years or older.

    To be eligible under this policy:

    • 66% of the residents of the suite or apartment must be at least 21 years of age. · Each resident of the suite 21 years or older must review the Responsible User PowerPoint presentation.
    • Each resident of the suite 21 years or older must earn a score of 80% or higher on the Responsible User Module, now available on Brightspace
      • If you do not see the course or do not have access, email

    Once all the students who live in suites meet the Responsible Use of Alcohol in Residential Education Policy criteria have successfully completed the Responsible Use of Alcohol in Residential Living Quiz with a score of 80% or better, they will receive a Responsible User Certificate good for the academic semester they are in.

    • The Responsible User Certificate will have the names of only the Responsible Users residing in a suite/apartment and must be posted on the inside of the suite/apartment door at all times.
    • Violations of the alcohol policy that occur in a suite or apartment where there are Responsible Users, all Responsible User certificates will be confiscated and the Responsible Users in that suite will immediately lose that status.
    • IMPORTANT: Students who are found responsible for providing alcohol to minors may be placed on Institute Probation.
    • If a new resident who is not 21 years or older moves into a Responsible User suite or apartment and the suite falls below the 66% 21-year or older eligibility criteria, the Responsible Use of Alcohol certificate will be rescinded.
  • Residence Hall Closing and Move Out Procedures

    During final examination week, students must leave within 24 hours of their last final or by 4:00pm on the day after the official final exam period ends. Each student must check out with a staff member of the Residential Education staff and complete any steps shared by the closing processes of that semester. Students who fail to hand in their keys will be charged a lost key fee and students who do not checkout in the proper manner will be charged an improper check-out fee.

    For additional closing information, consult your community supervisor, community advisor, or check your Wentworth email.

    Follow these procedures if you will be out of your room for any extended period (such as winter break, spring break, or long weekends, etc.):

    • Take all valuables home with you when the residential areas are closed.
    • Lock all windows and pull-down shades.
    • Shut off lights.
    • Unplug electrical cords from outlets (except for refrigerator).
    • Remove perishable items from the refrigerator.
    • Remove all trash.
    • Take plants and fish home for safe keeping. During winter break, the heat in the residence halls will be turned down when the residence halls are closed.
    • Do not pack your car until you are prepared to leave campus.
  • Cooking

    Microwave ovens are permitted in the residence halls. Open coils, hot plates, toasters, toaster ovens, and electric hot pots and any appliance with an open heating element are prohibited. Residential Education staff will confiscate items with open heating elements. Students living in areas equipped with kitchens should pay particular care when cooking to avoid any possible fires.

  • Damages Assessment and Appeal Process

    The University does not tolerate students causing damage within the residence halls. Damage results in increased housing costs, as well as creates an environment that is not conducive to the growth of community. Students who are found responsible for damaging University property within their rooms, suites, halls or building will be brought forward to a disciplinary hearing.

    Disciplinary sanctions may include restitution, housing probation, suspension from housing, or expulsion from the Institute.

    Unless a specific individual or individuals take full responsibility for damages to a room, suite, or apartment, each student assigned to that room, suite, or apartment will be charged for the damage based on the repair or replacement cost, as determined by Residential Education and Physical Plant. 

    If one student is responsible for the damage and wants to take responsibility, the student should complete the damage responsibility form.

    Appeals Process

    All students found responsible and billed for housing damages have the right to appeal these damage charges. Students who complete an express checkout waive their right to appeal damages.

    Information for how to appeal a damage charge will be included in the original damage notification letter.  All appeals must be submitted by the date indicated on the original damage notification email. Appeal decisions are final and are not eligible for additional review.

    Please note that as with any outstanding balance, failure to pay a damage charge by the date due can result in late fees being assessed and a hold being placed on the student account.

  • Disciplinary Dismissal from Housing

    Individuals who are dismissed from the residence hall for disciplinary reasons will lose their residence privileges due to disciplinary sanctions and will not receive a refund of their housing or meal plan charges.

  • Doors

    Except for door tags, all doors (bedroom, suite, apartment, studio, etc.) must be kept free of any writing, stickers, papers or other things that could create damage. Memo boards may be attached to doors as long as it does not mark the door and is removed before vacating.

  • Evacuations and Fire Alarms

    In the event of an emergency, fire alarm or at the request of a Wentworth official, all students must leave the building and not re-enter until authorized by a Boston Fire Department or Wentworth official. Failure to leave the building during a fire alarm may result in disciplinary action. Emergency instructions can be found on the interior of your residence hall room door.

    Emergency exits should be used only in case of emergency building evacuation. The use of emergency exits in non-emergency situations will result in disciplinary action

  • Failure to comply with Administrative Action

    Members of the University and Residential Education staff are charged with maintaining environments conducive to living and learning. Staff members may take immediate action in response to a given situation. The instructions of a staff member acting in the fulfillment of his or her duties are to be followed. Failure to comply with these instructions is a serious breach of the Personal Conduct section of Wentworth's Student Code of Conduct and will result in disciplinary action.

  • Fire Safety Violations

    Any item that produces flames or has an open heating element (i.e. candles, incense, halogen lamps, charcoal, lighter fluid, gasoline/kerosene and their containers) are strictly prohibited and will be confiscated, incurring an automatic $25.00 fine. "Hoverboards" are also strictly prohibited within the campus residence halls and will be confiscated.

    Only electrical appliances and equipment that have the mark of an approved testing laboratory (i.e.UL, FM) may be used. All ceiling hangings, oversized wall hangings and any overloaded electrical sockets are also considered fire hazards and students will be given a short time to remedy these violations. All students in a room share in the violations unless an individual student takes responsibility for the violation.

    Under no circumstances may students perform any electrical wiring or welding within their room/suite/apartment. If a student has an electrical concern, they must contact their community supervisor (CD), their Community Advisor, or Residential Education to submit a work order.

  • Guests on campus and Guest Policy

    Wentworth affords its students the opportunity to have guests on campus and the privilege to entertain guests in a room or suite, as long as the room/suitemate’s right to access, privacy, and to study and sleep free from disturbance is respected. Wentworth defines guests as non-Wentworth students, and in the residential setting, any students who are not current residents of the room/suite/apartment they are visiting.

    Expectations include but are not limited to the following:

    • The hosting student must always accompany the guest.
    • Students bringing guests to Institute-sponsored events will be held responsible for the actions of any guest.
    • Students are responsible for their guests’ behavior in all areas of campus including but not limited to, academic, administrative, and residential buildings.
    • Guests must have a valid identification on them when on Wentworth property and present that identification to a Wentworth official when asked.

    Additional Residential Restrictions:

    • Guests must be 18 years of age or older.
    • Guests must comply with all rules and restrictions in the Student Code of Conduct.
    • No guest may stay overnight in the public areas of any of the residence halls or in academic or administrative buildings.
    • Resident students must have the prior approval of all roommates/suitemates in order to host a guest.
    • A resident student may have two guests in the residence. Resident students may only host an overnight guest four nights each month.
    • Any guest in a residence hall after 6:00 pm must be signed in with the desk attendants. Guests who arrive prior to 6:00 pm must return with their host to the desk attendant area to show proper id and be signed in. During the hours of 6:00pm and 6:00am, guests must sign out of the residence hall building.
    • Non- student guests shall not bring alcohol onto campus.
    • Guests are only permitted in the residence halls during contracted times as stated in the housing agreement.
    • Guests are subject to all of the above rules and restrictions and host students are responsible for their guests' actions. Students enrolled at other institutions will be referred to their home institutions for disciplinary action.

    Guests must be vaccinated for COVID-19 and must be registered using the Visitor Registration Form

  • Room Occupancy

    Due to Massachusetts State Housing Code restrictions on maximum occupancy within a limited living space, the number of guests any student can have at any time are limited to two per resident.

  • Hall Sports

    Due to possible injury to a bystander or damage to the facilities, hall sports of any kind are not permitted. The use of roller blades, bikes, skateboards, hoverboards, and scooters is also prohibited within the residence halls. Students responsible for violating this policy may face disciplinary action.

  • Health and Safety Inspections

    Wentworth Residence Education conducts Health and Safety Inspections of the Residence Halls periodically each semester. These inspections can occur at any time and consist of a visual assessment of the rooms to check for items that are not permitted in the residence halls. If the following items are found in a room, they result in an automatic $25 fine placed on the student's account:

    • Hot plates
    • Electric hot pots
    • Hazardous Appliances (toaster ovens, electric heaters, or appliances with open heating coils)
    • Halogen lamps
    • Candles
    • Incense
    • Shot glasses

    If the following items are found in a room, they are a violation of The Student Code of Conduct and will result in documentation and an administrative hearing:

    • Drug paraphernalia
    • Hard alcohol
    • Knives or other weapons

    The room is also inspected for cleanliness and overloaded electrical sockets. Violations of this kind will be given an opportunity to be remedied and will be inspected within a week of the original inspection. Students wishing to claim individual responsibility for violations should contact their area Community Supervisor within 48 hours of the inspection. If this is not done, all members of the room or suite in which the violation occurred will be held responsible. Candles and shot glasses will not be returned to the students and will simply be disposed of.

  • Intentional Destruction of University Property

    Wentworth will not tolerate the intentional destruction of property and any intentional or unintentional theft, damage or destruction of property is a violation of the Personal Conduct section of the Student Code of Conduct. A student should assume that an incident that is determined to be intentional destruction, such as, but not limited to, graffiti, tagging, or tampering with elevators, may result in disciplinary sanctions up to and including housing suspension.

  • Quiet Hours

    Quiet hours are considered important for study in all residential areas. Residents should refrain from noise that interferes with the Institute community. It is an individual's responsibility to inform others when noise becomes disruptive; however, should the disruptive conduct continue, a member of the Housing and Residential Education staff should be contacted for appropriate action.

    Residence halls should be reasonably quiet at all times. Quiet hours are 10 p.m. to 8 a.m., Sunday through Thursday; and midnight to 9 a.m., Friday and Saturday. Quiet hours are in effect 24 hours a day during mid-term and final exam weeks.

    Stereos are considered privileged items and should be used for personal enjoyment. They are to be used within the confines of one's room at a volume that does not infringe on the rights of others within the community.

  • Pet Policy

    Students are not permitted to have pets, other than fish, in their rooms. Fish must be contained in an aquarium which is 10 gallons or smaller.

  • Propped Doors

    Students are prohibited from propping exterior and room doors or entering through propped doors

  • Proper Use of Facilities

    Students are prohibited from using Wentworth residential facilities or resources for commercial activity such as creating products or services for sale.

  • Right of Entry

    The University reserves the right to enter and inspect any room. Residential Education staff has the right to enter a room at any time to take those precautions that they find necessary to protect the health and safety of the occupants or other persons and to enforce University policy. Members of the physical plant staff and Public Safety officers routinely enter rooms in the performance of their duties and at times of safety or emergency.

  • Right to Search

    The University reserves the right to search any room when it reasonably believes that a violation of Institute policy is occurring, to investigate a situation or incident and to confiscate items that indicate such violations. Suspicious odors and disruptive behavior will be considered grounds for a search. In addition, Wentworth reserves the right to search a student’s person, motor vehicle and room, including but not limited to refrigerators, closets, safes, desks, and large bags or boxes. Students are required to open any items that may be locked or otherwise secured. Failure to open locked items may result in their confiscation until such time that their content can be verified. Prohibited items noted in The Student Code of Conduct (e.g. alcoholic beverages and containers, drug paraphernalia, fire safety items, weapons) will be confiscated, Referral to Institute disciplinary proceedings and criminal proceedings may occur.

    Federal, commonwealth and local officials may exercise their legitimate authority to conduct searches on campus without the consent of the Institute, employee or student.

  • Room Configuration

    All bedroom, common area and kitchen furniture provided by the Institute must remain in the room intact and must not be modified or re-configured. A clear path to doors must always be maintained.

  • Cleanliness

    Residents are responsible for the cleanliness of their respective rooms/suites/apartments, which are subject to inspection for health and safety reasons. Food items kept in rooms must be stored in closed containers to avoid attracting and harboring pests and to avoid contamination of food. Carpeted floors should be vacuumed weekly and whenever there is dirt, dust, crumbs, etc. visible. Hard surface floors should be swept and mopped weekly and again whenever the need is apparent. Cleaning of the kitchens and bathrooms within these units should be done weekly. Residents are expected to work out an equitable schedule among them to maintain these standards. Residents must bag and tie all trash on a regular basis and dispose in designated locations per building. Students that fail to maintain the cleanliness of their rooms will be subject to cover the cost of having the living area professionally cleaned as well as face disciplinary action.

  • Walls, Ceilings, and Windows

    Nothing is allowed to be placed on or suspended from the ceilings. Approved wall decorations are allowed but must be attached in such a way as to not mark or damage the surfaces. Putties and non-damaging adhesive strips are available in most office and school supply stores. Duct tape should never be used to attach anything to a painted surface. Emergency lights and smoke detectors must be kept uncovered and cleared of obstruction.

    Students are reminded that as members of the Wentworth community, they have a responsibility to promote an inclusive and welcoming environment, and are expected to consider the tenets of the Leopard's Oath when determining the appropriateness of what to display in their windows facing out or in areas that are visible to the public. Students who display language or images that violate any policy outlined in the Student Code of Conduct will be required to remove the display and may be subject to disciplinary action. Wentworth reserves the right to remove any signage or materials from a residence hall window or areas visible to the public at any time for any reason.

  • Unauthorized Occupancy

    Students are prohibited from occupying a residential space at Wentworth without an assignment from Residential Education. If a student has a housing assignment, they cannot trade places with another person, or assign themselves to another room, regardless of whether the other person lives on or off campus. Violators will be referred to the Dean of Students Office.

    Residents are prohibited from subletting, transferring, assigning, or sharing a room with anyone who is not assigned to that room by Residential Education.

  • Vacating Residence Halls During Holidays

    During periods in which the Institute residence halls are closed, students must follow certain guidelines. It is expected that you will leave campus at the time designated by Housing and Residential Education and not return until the residence halls are officially re-opened. Any student who violates these guidelines will be subject to strict disciplinary action. Academic requirements, distance from home, and varsity athletics are the only valid reasons for submitting a request to remain in campus housing during an interim break. Vacation housing is not afforded by your housing contract. The University reserves the right to deny interim break housing to any student for any reason. Students may not be allowed to remain in their regular room assignments in all cases. For security purposes, students may be asked to move into temporary interim assignments.

    Please note that there are no exceptions to this policy.

  • Assistance Animals

    In accordance with the Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988, Wentworth Institute of Technology provides students with disabilities a reasonable accommodation to have an assistance animal live with them in an on-campus student room.

    Student requests for accommodation and/or questions pertaining to this policy should be directed to the Success Studio. The Success Studio can be reached by phone at (617) 989-4545.

  • Cooperative Education and Housing

    Students who are in their co-op semester and have registered that co-op experience with the Center for Cooperative Education and Career Development are able to live in on-campus housing.

  • TCAD Co-Op Housing Policy

    Students registered for TCAD through CPCE are not eligible to live on-campus unless they secure a job related to their academic major by the last Friday of the 1ST month of the semester they are scheduled to take co-op (January or September). The job must be related to their major and would normally qualify as a co-op by CO-OPS + CAREERS at Wentworth.

    If, after the add/drop deadline, a student obtains a job that is related to their major and would normally qualify as a co-op by CO-OPS + CAREERS at Wentworth, that student may qualify to move into campus housing, pending availability and confirmation from CO-OPS + CAREERS at Wentworth of employment.

    Please contact the Office of Housing and Residential Life, or CO-OPS + CAREERS at Wentworth if there are any questions regarding this policy.

  • Gender Inclusive Housing

    Gender inclusive housing is defined as a housing option in which two or more Wentworth students share a multiple-occupancy bedroom, apartment, or suite, in mutual agreement, regardless of the students’ sex, gender, gender identity or gender expression. This type of housing is offered to give students the option to reside with another person who has a different sex, gender, gender identity or gender expression in order to provide a welcoming living environment with a compatible roommate or suitemate. Wentworth students do not have to express their reasons for wanting to live in gender inclusive housing.

    During the gender inclusive housing selection process for returning students, those interested in this housing option must fill the apartment in which they are applying.

    Should all apartments that have the gender inclusive designation be filled at the time that the group is eligible to select, the group will need to divide up and select from the single gender inventory.

    If a roommate cancels their housing or moves out of the room for any reason, the remaining roommates may identify a new roommate to fill the vacancy. Housing & Residential Education will define the time allocated to find a new roommate. This window of time will vary depending on time of year and the number of students waiting for an assignment. Typically, a resident will be allowed a minimum of 24 hours, but not more than one week to identify another eligible roommate. If another roommate(s) is not identified within the time period, Housing & Residential Education reserves the right to assign a student to the vacancy or to consolidate/relocate the remaining resident(s) to another vacancy. At no time can specific room types be guaranteed.

    Wentworth discourages students who are in a romantic relationship from living together in a residence hall housing unit, although we do not question a student’s motives for wanting to live in a gender-neutral housing option.

    It is the student’s responsibility to communicate with parents or family members about the decision to live in a gender inclusive housing environment. Housing & Residential Education encourages this conversation between parents or family members and students about the housing choice so that they can be in support of the student’s decision.

  • Housing Accommodations

    Full-time students who wish to live in housing, are in good standing with the university, have paid the housing deposit and signed a housing agreement, and have medical needs that may necessitate a housing accommodation may request accommodations by going through the Housing Accommodations process. An example of this need could be, for example, a student with a mobility issue who requires access to an elevator.

    Students must reapply for accommodations each time that they are going through the housing selection or assignment process. For more information, contact the Success Studio at 617-989-4545.

  • Housing Agreements

    Each student is required complete a housing agreement prior to living on campus. Housing agreements are binding for a full academic year. Students will not be released from this agreement unless they are leaving for co-op, study abroad, or transferring. Students who sign a housing agreement are not eligible to be released from the Residency Requirement during the year of that agreement. (Please see the Housing Withdrawal Policy below for more details.)

    Each student should read the housing agreement carefully and ask questions if anything is not clear. Guidelines and policies outlined here are to ensure that both the University administrators and resident students are aware of their responsibilities.

    Transfer students and first-year students complete an online housing two-semester (Fall and Spring) housing agreement prior to housing selection and are entered into a room assignment process by Housing and Residential Education. Students will not be released from this agreement unless the housing system is "over occupancy" and then only at the discretion of the Director of Housing and Residential Education or their designee. Students who withdraw from housing without such a release may lose their deposits and could also be obliged to pay a full year's room charges. Any violation of the housing agreement will be dealt with by the residential life staff. Depending upon the severity of a violation, a student's residency may be reviewed immediately.

    All information regarding proper procedures for withdrawing from housing, requesting deposit refunds, and becoming exempt from the Residency Requirement, are on this page.

  • Housing Down Payment and Down Payment Refunds

    For Entering First-Year Students

    Entering first-year students submit both an enrollment and housing deposit at the time of enrollment. Wentworth Institute of Technology requires that all first-year and second-year students live on campus, as per the residency requirement. 

    Incoming first-year students who do not wish to live on campus should contact the Office of Admissions to learn more about the exemption process. 

    Returning Students

    Continuing students who are interested in living on campus participate in a housing selection process for the academic year or semester. Housing selection information, including instructions to submit housing down-payments are communicated via Wentworth email in advance of the specific housing selection process. 

    Housing down-payment refunds are issued in accordance with the refund schedule outlined on the housing agreement, or in housing selection communication. Student must request the housing down payment refund before the stated deadline via email to

    Housing down payment refunds requests received in writing (or email) and postmarked on or before the final night of room selection will be granted. No verbal requests will be honored.

    After room selection is over, the housing down payment is non-refundable and forfeited to the Institute, except in certain situations outlined below:

    • Encounter academic situations which do not allow a student to return to the Institute. [for example: do not attain the Architecture program they want or have been academically dismissed]
    • Has an unforeseen medical situation.
    • Students on the waitlist can receive their housing deposit refunded if they request it before they are offered a space on-campus. (Upper-class students who are offered a space on campus and decline housing will automatically forfeit their housing deposit.) NOTE: Students who do not show up for room selection will automatically be assigned a space, and not considered to be on the 'waitlist.'
    • Attains a Co-op outside of the Greater Boston Area or does not obtain a co-op.
    • Other situations (see the paragraph below)

    Other situations are examined on a student-by-student basis. Students who have not met satisfactory academic progress and subsequently lost their financial aid may (or may not) be eligible for a housing down payment refund.

    All requests for housing down payment refunds after the final day of room selection must be received in writing or by email to These requests will be examined and approval of return or forfeiture of the housing down payment will be determined by the

    Director of Student Financial Services and Director of Housing and Residential Education. No refunds will be granted to any requests that arrive after September 1st.

    Spring Semester

    All students who are off campus for the Fall Semester and intending to come back to housing for Spring Semester must submit a $500 housing down payment. This down payment is non-refundable except in the following circumstances:

    • If they request a refund before the stated deadline for this semester.
    • Academic situations which do not allow a student to return to the Institute.
    • Unforeseen medical situation.
    • Students on the waitlist can receive their housing down payment refunded if they request it before they are offered a space on-campus. (Upper-class students who are offered a space on campus and decline housing will forfeit their housing down payment.)

    Summer Semester

    All requests for the summer housing down payment refunds must be requested by the due date to be refunded. This down payment is non-refundable except in the following circumstances.

    • Academic situations which do not allow a student to return to the Institute. [for example: do not attain the Architecture program they want or have been academically dismissed]
    • Unforeseen medical situation.
    • Students on the waitlist can receive their housing down payment refunded if they request it before they are offered a space on-campus. (Upper-class students who are offered a space on campus and decline housing will automatically forfeit their housing down payment.) NOTE: Students who do not participate in housing selection will automatically be assigned a space, and not considered to be on the 'waitlist.'
    • Attains a Co-op outside of the Greater Boston Area.
  • Housing Withdrawal Policy

    Students that currently live on-campus but wish to withdraw from housing should fill out the Housing Cancellation Online Form. Once the form has been submitted, the student will have 24 hours to vacate their assignment. Students living on campus for the fall and spring semesters sign a two semester Housing Agreement. Students who withdraw from housing without a valid reason will be charged a Housing Agreement Release Fee of $1000 under the following circumstances:

    • Withdrawal from the residence halls after the fourth week of the fall semester
    • Withdrawal from the residence halls through the fourth week of the spring semester. Students who withdraw from the residence halls after this point will be responsible for the full spring room charge.
    • Withdrawal from the residence halls through the fourth week of the summer semester. Students who withdraw after this point will be responsible for the full summer room charge.
    • Valid reasons for students not returning in the Spring/Summer may include:
      • Being dismissed from the Institute
      • Getting a co-op outside of the greater Boston Area
      • Transferring to another Institution
      • Encounter academic situations which do not allow a student to return to the Institute
      • Has an unforeseen medical situation

    All requests to release a student from their academic year Housing Agreement will be examined and approval will be determined by the Director of Student Financial Services and the Director of Housing and Residential Education.

    Students residing in housing or have signed a housing agreement are not eligible to be exempt from the residency requirement for the period of that housing agreement.

  • Insurance Information for Students and Parents

    Students at Wentworth are strongly encouraged to provide their own personal property loss insurance. Parents should check with their homeowner's insurance to see if the loss of their students' property is covered under their existing policy. If not, it is strongly encouraged that a rider is added to cover students' property while they are living in the residence hall. Wentworth Institute of Technology is not legally liable for damages or loss of property, nor for failure or interruption of utilities, nor for interruption of services due to weather or acts of nature.

    Visit National Student Services, Inc for quotes and policies.

  • Legal Liability of the University

    Wentworth Institute of Technology is not legally liable for damages or loss of property, nor for failure or interruption of utilities, nor for interruption of services due to weather or acts of nature. Students are strongly encouraged to provide their own personal property loss insurance.

  • Personal Safety

    As a student living on an urban campus, you should be aware of your surroundings and observe all safety tips, including the following:

    • Always walk in well-lit areas. Report broken or burned-out lights to the Public Safety Office immediately.
    • When walking at night, remember the buddy system and walk with a friend, or call the Public Safety Office at 989-4400 to request an escort.
    • If walking alone at night, walk briskly and be alert to your surroundings. Don't offer directions to approaching cars. If you feel you are being followed, go where there will be other people around and where assistance is available.
    • Keep your room locked at all times.
    • Keep draperies and shades drawn in the evening and at other appropriate times.
    • Be aware of the emergency telephone numbers on campus. Keep them handy.
    • Keep exterior doors of the residence buildings locked. Never prop doors open and always close the doors if they are open. Door propping is prohibited and may result in disciplinary action.
  • Requesting a Housing Assignment

    Current students that live off-campus and would like to request on-campus housing should fill out the Housing Request Online Form

  • Room Change Requests

    Housing and Residential Education recognizes that not all people are compatible, and, at times, a room change may be the only solution. Students contemplating a room change should first discuss the situation with their roommates and then, if needed, seek the assistance of their Community Advisor. Additionally, the entire Housing and Residential Life staff is available to assist residents with any roommate conflict.

    Every resident student signs an agreement to occupy a specific room in a specific building. That student is financially responsible for his or her assigned space for the duration of the agreement. A room change is an amendment to this agreement. All room changes must be authorized in writing by Housing and Residential Education staff. Unauthorized room changes may result in disciplinary action, and result in a $75.00 fine being added to the student's account. During the first two weeks of the semester, no student-initiated room changes are allowed. After the first two weeks of the semester, residents may change their rooms, providing space is available. To initiate such a change, these students must see their Community Supervisor. Wentworth Institute of Technology reserves the right to change room assignments at its discretion.

    Students that are currently living on-campus and would like to change rooms should complete the Room Change Online Form. A member of the Housing & Residential Education staff will respond to requests via Wentworth email.

  • Residency Requirement

    Wentworth Institute of Technology requires all first-year and second-year students to reside in Wentworth residence halls and select a meal plan.

    Students residing in housing or who have signed a Wentworth housing agreement are not eligible to be exempt from the residency requirement for the period of that housing agreement.

    Approved requests for residency exemptions are valid throughout the duration of the student's tenure at Wentworth. Students do not need to re-apply for a residency exemption.

    Incoming first-year students requesting an exemption to the residency requirement should contact the Office of Admissions

    Rising second-year students requesting an exemption to the residency requirement should see below:

    • Exemptions to this requirement must be requested using the Request for Exemption from Residency Requirement form. The form must be submitted prior to a student signing the housing agreement, and should include appropriate documentation.
      • Exemptions to this policy may be granted under certain conditions, which include:
        • Student will be living with parent/guardian in their principal residence. Only for those within 10 miles of campus;
        • Student is 23 years of age or older by the first day of the fall semester for the academic year the exemption is applied for;
        • Student is married and/or has dependent children. A copy of the marriage certificate or birth certificate must be submitted as documentation.
        • Can demonstrate other acceptable extenuating circumstances, such as a medical need or religious need, and may be asked to provide appropriate documentation for review.
      • The Director of Housing and Residential Education (or designee) reviews requests for rising second-year residency exemptions. The decision is final and not subject to appeal. 
        • Any student not granted exemption under this policy who fails to reside in University housing may be required to pay all room and board charges for the semester(s) in which the student failed to reside in University housing as required under this policy. The proper procedures for Withdrawing from Housing, Requesting Housing Deposit Refunds, and becoming exempt from the Residency Requirement are on this page.
  • Residential Lockout Policy

    It is the responsibility of the student to have their Wentworth ID and their keys on their person when they leave their room or residence hall. If a student is locked out, they should call  Housing and Residential Education (617) 989-4160 during business hours or the Department of Public Safety (617) 989-4400 during non-business hours and on the weekends. Housing and Residential Education staff or Security Staff will be responsible for doing all lockouts of residential rooms or apartments.

    The lockout will be handled as soon as it is possible. While it is expected that responsible staff will do the lockout as timely as possible, lockouts are not considered an emergency and it may take up to one hour for the lockout service to occur, depending on circumstances occurring within the residential campus at the time.

    If a student is experiencing an emergency, they should contact the Department of Public Safety emergency number at (617) 989-4444.

  • Storage Policy

    Wentworth Institute of Technology does not provide storage for student belongings in Wentworth residential buildings.

    Housing and Residential Education will coordinate with students for short term storage of items between the spring and summer semesters, as well as the summer and fall semesters.

    Housing and Residential Education will provide any interested student with a list of local storage companies in order to arrange for storage of their belongings. Please note Wentworth Institute of Technology does not partner with or endorse any third-party organization for storage of student belongings.

  • Vacancies

    The following procedure should be followed in the event of a room vacancy:

    • The roommates of the person vacating a room assignment may request an appropriate replacement from the pool of students living on campus.
    • If no request is made, the Housing and Residential Education may then offer the space to another student.
    • In the event that person declines the offer, he or she is placed at the end of the waiting list.
    • If the occupants of a room with a vacancy attempt in any way to block the filling of a vacant room, or to dissuade a prospective roommate from moving in, they may be subject to disciplinary action