Wentworth Offering Virtual CO-OP + CAREER Fairs
October 7, 2020
Job hunters everywhere are encountering new sets of frustrations and speed bumps in their attempts to navigate the formidable COVID-19 employment landscape. But for students and alumni at Wentworth Institute of Technology, some much-needed help is on the way.
In October, the university’s Center for Cooperative Education and Career Development is conducting three virtual recruiting events, each targeted to specific majors and industries. In total, the fairs are expected to attract about 80 businesses.
The sessions are:
- Tuesday, October 13 from 2-5 p.m. EST: Design/Build Industries
- Intended for the following major programs: Architecture, Construction Management, Industrial Design, Interior Design.
- Wednesday, October 14 from 2-5 p.m. EST: Engineering & Science Industries
- Intended for the following major programs: Applied Science, Biological Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electromechanical Engineering, Engineering, Mechanical Engineering.
- Thursday, October 15 from 2-5 p.m. EST: Computing, Business, & Math Industries
- Intended for the following major programs: Applied Math, Business Management, Computer Information Systems, Computer Networking, Computer Science, Cybersecurity.
Employers registered thus far include: Aecom; Arranta Bio; Akamai Technologies; athenahealth; DMS design, LLC; Eversource; Gilbane Building Co; LafargeHolcim; Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT); MIT Lincoln Laboratory; Raytheon Technologies; Skanska USA Building; Teradyne Inc; Tighe & Bond; Toast Inc., VF Corp;, and ZOLL Medical.
Details for joining the sessions are available on the CO-OPS + CAREERS website.
For information on getting ready for the event, a detailed guide to attending virtual events, along with resources for drafting resumes, sending thank you notes, and presenting yourself to employers is available on the CO-OPS + CAREERS resources page.
To provide additional support in the job-search process, Wentworth is offering students and alumni a program called Inside Industry Right Now, which lets participants engage with employers and other Wentworth-connected job hunters.
Past guests included: AIR Worldwide; Arranta Bio; Boston VA Healthcare; Commodore Builders; Hasbro; iRobot; Perkins & Will; and Weston & Sampson.
Each session is moderated by a member of the CO-OPS + CAREERS team as participants talk with hiring managers, supervisors, freelance designers, vice presidents and more. Sessions are scheduled for one hour, allowing guests to speak to the following topics:
- How has COVID-19 impacted the work being done within the organization?
- What skills did employees need to be successful?
- How has the workplace changed since March and what does it look like for the future?
- How has recruiting, interviewing and on-boarding changed?
- What opportunities exist for Wentworth students?
Inside Industry began shortly after the shutdowns in the spring. And a virtual Fair was held in August, immediately after commencement, to provide another tool for the most recent graduates to find full-time employment and for rising seniors to secure a fall co-op assignment.
Employers looking to engage with CO-OPS + CAREERS, to meet with and hire Wentworth students and alumni, should contact CO-OPS + CAREERS at 617-989-4101 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- October 6, 2020—CO-OPS AND CAREERS Assistant Director Abbey Pober shares how Work + Identity is geared toward students, alumni and employers.
- September 10, 2020—Robbin Beauchamp speaks with WalletHub for a piece on 2020’s hardest-working states.
- August 23, 2020—FutureLab, a collaboration between Accelerate and Architecture students, asked for creative solutions.