Department of Architecture
Wentworth Architecture transforms students with diverse backgrounds into innovative design thinkers and leaders in the field of architecture. They develop creative confidence, technical knowledge, professional skills, and expanded perspectives through integrated and applied learning experiences, including international travel studies and co-op employment. The studio-based program centers on making as a form of thinking. Students engage locally and globally, explore advanced technologies, team within and across disciplines, and learn to design sustainably. Wentworth Architecture students graduate with passion and insight, ready to contribute to society through the built environment.
The department offers two separate degree programs:
- The four-year, pre-professional Bachelor of Science in Architecture.
- Master of Architecture professional degree - three tracks:
- The one-year, Master of Architecture professional degree: Internal Candidates
- The two-year, Master of Architecture professional degree for external candidates who have successfully completed a pre-professional degree in Architecture from an NAAB-accredited program: External Candidates.
- The three-year, Master of Architecture professional degree for external candidates who have a four-year Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in an unrelated discipline: External Candidates
Wentworth’s location in Boston provides a wonderful setting for architectural education. As one of the oldest cities in the United States, students experience the cultural richness and a diverse tapestry of both traditional and contemporary buildings. They learn about the opportunities and the responsibilities inherent in the architect’s role as form maker of the built environment while discovering the profound impact of architecture on individuals, communities and societies.
The faculty represents a broad range of interests and expertise, bringing insight and real world experience into the studio-based education. The program also offers opportunities to engage diverse cultures and building traditions through travel-based learning in national and international settings.
Focusing on the tangible and material realities of design and building, our students are trained to think critically in order to articulate a well-grounded position in architecture that prepares them to become leaders in the field. Ultimately, the program provides graduates with the insight, skills, and perspective to pursue meaningful careers in architecture and design.