The Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires that all students, (undergraduate, graduate and Co-op), who are enrolled as three-quarter time or more credit hours per semester be covered by the student health insurance plan or a health insurance plan with comparable coverage.
For information about the health services provided to students on campus please visit our Health Services page.
For additional resources and information visit United HealthCare Student Resources.
Directions to download your electronic ID insurance card here.
Waiver portal opens
Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
A Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) is available through Wentworth. The plan offers exceptional coverage at an outstanding value compared to most options available to students and provides reasonable premium rates for dependents. The SHIP is underwritten by Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Insurance Company and administered by United HealthCare Student Resources.
- Coverage for the student health insurance plan starts on August 28 and ends on August 27 of the following year.
- The Health Insurance Waiver as well as coverage details including costs, benefits, exclusions, and any reductions or limitations, will all be available mid-June.
- All students who are enrolled for nine or more credit hours per semester (or registered for Co-op) will automatically be billed for the student insurance plan.
- Wentworth requires international students to be enrolled in the college plan (SHIP)
Waiving the SHIP (Opt-Out)
Students who are covered by an alternate plan that offers comparable coverage are eligible to waive (opt out of) the Wentworth plan by completing an online health insurance waiver form by specific deadlines communicated to the student via their Wentworth email address.
- The questions in the waiver are designed to help us understand if you are eligible to waive the Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP). Responding to these questions accurately is important and may require you to consult with your current health benefit plan provider about your specific plan’s benefits.
- To waive the health insurance, visit the waiver link. For assistance, visit the tutorial for waiving the insurance.
- The waiver is required to be completed each academic year.
- The waiver must be completed by the semester's due dates of August 1 for fall, December 1 for spring and April 1 for summer to avoid holds and late payment fees.
- Students must either enroll in the Student Health Insurance or complete the online waiver by the semester's due date for which the charge is applied. Once the waiver is completed and approved, a credit with the description "Health Insurance Waiver" will be added to the student's E-Bill.
- Failure to complete the online waiver by the deadlines will result in a mandated health insurance charge. Students will then be responsible for paying any outstanding balance in full.
- MassHealth Limited, Health Safety Net, and Children's Medical Security Plans do not provide coverage that meets the Massachusetts state requirements for student health insurance. Students who use these types of plans to fill out the health insurance waiver will be denied.
- Out-of-state Medicaid programs are also not accepted.
- Health insurance plans based outside of the United States are not accepted.
Selecting the SHIP (Opt-In)
Students who want the health insurance coverage offered through Wentworth must elect to opt-in. Once you access the portal, select the Opt-In button on the right side of the screen. Selecting to Opt-In must be completed by the specific deadlines communicated to the student via their Wentworth email address.
- To Opt-In to the health insurance, visit the link.
Please direct questions regarding the billing process to the Student Accounts Office at email@example.com.