How to Report Sexual Misconduct

This page provides information to help you make an informed decision about your reporting options.

Survivors of sexual assault or rape often feel as though they have lost control over their own life. Knowing your options can help you regain a sense of control.

  • You have the right to medical treatment. The Wentworth Public Safety can provide transportation for medical assistance by calling 617-989-4444.
  • You have the right to confidential, emotional support, which can be provided by the Center for Wellness by calling 617-989-4390 or by any of the resources designated as confidential listed on this site.
  • You have the right to have a friend, family member or advocate from a survivor assistance agency (such as the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center) accompany and stay with you during the medical exam and police questioning.
  • You have the right to request either a male or female officer or detective to conduct the interview.
  • You have the right to report your experience to Public Safety without using any names. Wentworth tracks the instances of rape and sexual assault annually without names.
  • You have the right to take your time and change your mind when making a decision about what to do.

Confidential Reporting

You have the right to confidentially report a rape or sexual assault to a licensed counselor in the Center for Wellness (located in Watson Hall 003).  A counselor will be able to talk with you about resources and options on and off campus.  Counselors are mandated to inform the institution about an act of rape or sexual assault but can keep the name of survivor confidential.

Where You Can Report a Rape or Sexual Assault

  • Wentworth Public Safety, 24 hours per day/7 days per week: 617-989-4444
  • Title IX Coordinator: 617-989-4193
  • Office of Student Affairs: 617-989-4702
  • Boston Police: 617-343-4270
  • Local Police or District Attorney if event occurs in a town or city other Boston

When Reporting to Wentworth Public Safety

  • You may request to speak to a male or female officer.
  • Wentworth Public Safety will facilitate access to medical assistance for you, if needed
  • The investigating officer will explain the reporting process to you.
  • You can choose whether or not to provide the name of the person who committed the assault.
  • Wentworth Public Safety also has a primary responsibility to maintain campus safety. As a result, a police investigation may be required whether or not you want this to occur
  • If you choose to press charges, Wentworth Public Safety will assist you in filing criminal and/or judicial charges.
  • Wentworth Public Safety will refer you to resources on or off campus to assist you with recovery.
  • “All reports of rape and sexual assault or attempts to commit such offenses and all conversations between police officers and victims of said offenses shall not be public reports and shall be maintained by the police departments in a manner which will assure their confidentiality.” (Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 41, Section 97D).
  • Wentworth Public Safety can contact a member of the Center for Wellness, day or night, at the request of the survivor.

Students can Report to Office of Student Affairs or the Title IX Coordinator

You may speak to the Assistant Dean of Students in the Office of Student Affairs for information on the Wentworth student discipline process and options within this system. If you choose to report the incident to Wentworth Public Safety, the police can assist you with reporting options, provided that you give the police permission to do so. The Office of Student Affairs takes privacy concerns very seriously.  Students may also report incidents of sexual misconduct to the Title IX Coordinator.

Students can make an anonymous report

You may file an anonymous and confidential report through Ethics Point.

Faculty and Staff can Report to the Title IX Coordinator

An employee who believes they have been subject to unlawful discrimination, including sexual harassment and assault, should contact a representative from Human Resources as soon as possible.  The employee may also contact their supervisor.

When Reporting to Boston or Local Police/District Attorney's Office

  • If an event occurs off campus, you are encouraged to report the incident to the local police authority where the event has occurred. Wentworth Public Safety can also assist you with reporting to either local police or district attorneys, if desired.
  • If a sexual assault occurs on the Wentworth campus and you choose to report to the police, the assault should be reported first to the campus Public Safety office.

Things to Consider

  • Reporting is always your choice.
  • Whether you wish to report or not, you have the right to confidential counseling services through the Center for Wellness.
  • Reporting allows for your protection and the protection of the campus as a whole.
  • Taking legal or disciplinary action can provide you with a chance to regain a sense of personal control.
  • Pursuing legal or disciplinary action can also be a source of additional stress, depending on the nature of the action you choose and the level of response required by the authorities. Their response may not always be under your control. To help you through the reporting and subsequent processes, it is important to establish a supportive network of friends, family, or professionals who can be there for you.