You are here
Laptop Services FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Junior/5th Year Refresh? Am I eligible?
Students that began classes at Wentworth before 2015 may be eligible for a laptop refresh. Starting in the Fall of 2015 Wentworth transitioned to one laptop for a student’s academic career. The current laptops offered by the school are meant to stand the rigors of study for an average matriculation of a student and the Tech Spot along with your academic department selects laptops with the power and performance to last. If you are a student that has started after Fall of 2015 you will not be eligible for a laptop refresh.
What are the costs for this program?
- The laptop program is for full-time, matriculating undergraduate students and Masters of Architecture students only and the cost is included in tuition. There are no additional fees, except in cases where damage which is not covered under the manufacturer's warranty has occurred to your laptop, or your laptop was lost or stolen.
What if I want a different model laptop?
- The laptop platform and size choice(s) are determined by your choice of major. If your major allows, you have the option to choose the model laptop that you prefer. Laptop options are chosen by the Dean, department chair, and faculty for each major.
When will I pick up my laptop?
- Laptops are picked up as part of Wentworth Opening Week. Orientation Leaders will bring their group to pick up laptops at the correct time.
Can I bring and use my personal laptop? What are the benefits of having Wentworth provide a specific laptop and software suite?
- We cannot install Wentworth licensed software on your personal laptop or support your personal laptop. The laptop program ensures that you will be able to run the software used throughout your curriculum. A specific laptop also ensures quick support/repair turnaround time, maximizing the duration students have use of their laptop.
How do I obtain technical support for my Wentworth issued laptop?
- The Tech Spot provides complete laptop support including hardware repair if necessary.
If my machine is inoperable and in repair, how can I continue in my classes and studies?
- Many repairs can be completed and returned the same day. The Tech Spot may provide a loaner laptop if available and repairs are expected to take longer.
What is the difference between warranty repair and accidental damage?
- Warranty repair comes from normal wear and tear on the laptop. Accidental damage comes from damage incurred from carelessness, etc. Each case is determined on its own merit. Regardless of warranty or accidental damage, laptop repairs are done by Wentworth.
Are students financially responsible for warranty repair?
- No, warranty repair incurs no student costs.
What if I accidentally damage my laptop?
- Accidental damage incurs up to a $250 deductible on your tuition bill. You will be responsible for any costs associated with repairs or replacements that are not covered under manufacturer's warranty.
Am I responsible for backing up my laptop data files?
- Yes, students are responsible for backing up laptop data files. It is strongly recommended that some form of secure, individually owned external backup device be used to store files if a student does not want to use cloud storage. In the event that a laptop suffers major damage resulting in the loss of data, Wentworth is not responsible for the lost data. We offer free cloud-based storage to students through Office 365 OneDrive.
Do I need to bring a printer, scanner and/or digital camera?
- You are not required to buy any of these items. Learn more about Printing, Plotting, and Scanning available right on campus. Digital cameras can be borrowed from the Tech Sandbox at the Douglas D. Schumann Library & Learning Commons.
Can I buy my laptop if I leave Wentworth prior to graduation?
- No, laptops are not available for sale. You must turn in your laptop to the Tech Spot if you leave Wentworth prior to graduation.
What if I change my major?
- If your new major requires a different laptop model or software image than your original major, you may need to exchange your laptop at the Tech Spot. If your new major allows choice, you will be able to change your laptop model without any fee. Please consult with the Tech Spot to determine how to proceed.
What should I do with the laptop if I leave Wentworth prior to graduation?
- The laptop program is for full-time students only. Should a student leave Wentworth or drop below full-time status prior to graduation, the laptop must be returned to the Tech Spot. If you do not return it, you will be assessed a fee equal to the cost of the computer system as stipulated in the Laptop Program Student User Agreement.
Will I be able to keep the laptop I received when I graduate?
- You will be able to keep the laptop upon graduation.
What happens to the laptop software after graduation?
- Most software on the laptops is allowed to remain on the laptop upon graduation. Students do not receive updates or upgrades. Updating or continued use of some software requires purchasing a license or upgrade on their own. Certain software that Wentworth holds licenses for will not work once the student has graduated because of vendor licensing requirements.
Will I receive laptop technical support from Wentworth after graduation?
- No, laptop hardware and software is not supported after graduation.
What if I want to change my choice of laptop model?
- Once our orders have been placed on July 1st each year, we cannot accommodate changes of laptop selections. A student may, if eligible according to their chosen major, request a change prior to this date by contacting the Wentworth Laptop Program at email@example.com.
What happens if my laptop is lost or stolen?
- The student is responsible for securing their laptop at all times. In the event of a lost or stolen laptop claim, Wentworth may, subject to availability provide a replacement laptop (not necessarily a new laptop) with the original software configuration. Students acknowledge that in the case of theft they are responsible for the first $750 of the replacement cost of the new Computer System (approximately $2,500) for a first time theft, and for a second theft (and all thefts thereafter) they are responsible for the full replacement value of the new Computer System (approximately $2,500).
In the case of loss or theft on-campus, the student is responsible to contact the Wentworth Department of Public Safety immediately upon discovery.
In the case of loss or theft off-campus, the student is responsible to contact the local police department. Then report the theft to the Wentworth Department of Public Safety.
Allegations of fraudulent claims will be referred to the Massachusetts Attorney General for investigation and possible felony prosecution. Students understand that Wentworth Institute of Technology may assess them a late fee equivalent to the cost of a replacement Computer System should they fail to return the laptop on or before the return date without producing a Wentworth Public Safety report and a report from the local police having jurisdiction as outlined above.
If available, Wentworth will provide a replacement (not necessarily new) laptop comparable to the laptop model assigned to their class.