Providing a Preferred Name
Wentworth recognizes the significance of being acknowledged by your preferred name. In support of this, we have a program, collectively known as Preferred Name, which allows you to define the first name which is displayed on your accounts seperately from your legal name.
Why might a preferred name be useful to me?
Choose to use the English translation of their name
Individuals whose legal names may not identify with their identity
- Use a nickname (for example, legal name Elizabeth, preferred name Liz).
If I choose to provide a preferred name, where will this be used and who will see it?
Documents and records that may display a preferred name include, among other things, course rosters, housing information, student and employee identification cards, and other documents issued by Wentworth. Your preferred name would be used in interactions with other students, faculty, and staff. The student and employee ID will include your preferred name.
When would Wentworth use my legal name?
- A preferred name will not be reflected on, among other things, a student’s official academic record, diploma or transcript, any bills or financial aid documentation, documentation related to immigration, or study abroad.
How do I provide my preferred name to Wentworth?
- Log into Leopard Web with your Wentworth Network Account.
- On the “Personal Information” tab, click the “Name Change Information” link.
- In the Preferred Name field, enter your preferred name.
How long does it take once I provide a preferred name?
- While some systems recognize the change immediately, most take approximately 24 hours to be recognized. If you find places where it is not displayed as expected after this time, please contact the Tech Spot for assistance.
Are there limitations to providing a preferred name?
- No. It is the Institute’s expectation that students will adhere to the conduct of behavior outlined in the Student or Employee Handbook and exercise sound judgment in their usage of the preferred name option feature. Individuals who misuse the preferred name option may be asked to speak with a professional staff member or Human Resources.
Can I also change my last name or my legal first name?
- Students: To change the name that is displayed/reflected on official academic record, diploma or transcript students, immigration information must follow the instructions on the Change of Name Request Form. A request to change your legal name must be made in person at the Student Service Center in Williston Hall and will require legal documentation and official identification. Examples of legal documentation include a court order, a marriage certificate, a valid driver's license, valid passport, or a government-issued military I.D.
- Employees: No. A request to change your legal name must be made in person at the Human Resources Office in Williston Hall and will require legal documentation and official identification. Examples of legal documentation include a court order, a marriage certificate, a valid driver's license, valid passport, or a government-issued military I.D.
What is the current max character length of a display name on campus IDs?
- The first and last name fields each can fit twenty (20) characters.
Will I still be able to use my campus ID to pick up mail?
- You will need to present a form of identification that matches the mail addressed to you which is often your legal name (for example, if you go by Liz but your mail is addressed to Elizabeth, you should present a license, passport, or some other government-issued ID that matches the name on your mail). However, you can use your campus ID if that name matches the name on your mail.
How do I pick up my new campus ID once I update my preferred name through Leopard Web?
- You must bring in your old campus ID in order to receive your new campus ID. If you do not have your old campus ID, you will be charged the standard fee of $25 to replace a lost card.
- Note: Wentworth will cover the cost of one reprint per student once a year pertaining to the preferred name initiative. Any additional reprints will be at the expense of the student and will be charged $25.
What information do parents need in order to add money to their student's account?
- Parents will need to provide Wentworth the W ID# in order for Wentworth to verify they are loading funds into the correct student's account.
- Note: Parents will see the students preferred name if the student gives the parent access to their Wentworth profile.