You are here
Backing Up Your Mac
Backing up using Time Machine to an external hard drive (Apple’s backup software)
- Plug in an external hard drive (Size should be at least 1TB - terabyte)
- You may get this prompt:
If so, click Use as Backup
- If not, open System Preferences
- Click the Time Machine Pane
- Click Select Disk
- Click on your external hard drive to select it, then Use Backup Disk (Your external hard drive will have its own name)
- You may receive this message, READ IT CAREFULLY:
If you have data on the external hard drive and wish to save it, click Don't Erase, and first copy the data to your Mac or somewhere else.
You have now successfully setup Time Machine.
Time Machine keeps hourly backups for the past 24 hours, daily backups for the past month, and weekly backups until your backup drive is full.
See this Apple webpage for further information: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427