Ways to Give
A variety of assets and planning strategies can be used to help accomplish your philanthropic goals. However you choose to support Wentworth—and at whatever level—your generosity is truly appreciated.
The options below describe the more common types of giving. In addition, your gift can have an even greater impact if your (or your spouse’s) company has a matching gift program. The impact of your support may be doubled or possibly tripled. Some companies also match gifts made by retirees.
Types of Giving
- Cash: Gifts can be made by personal check, through credit/debit transactions, cashier’s checks, or money orders.
- Pledge: Wentworth welcomes your gift through a formal statement of intention to make a gift to the Institute. With a pledge, you may complete your gift by making regular payments over time, allowing you to give more generously than you originally may have considered possible.
- Securities: A gift of appreciated securities that you have held for more than one year is frequently the most economical way to give. You will be eligible to take a federal income tax deduction equal to the fair market value of the stock on the date of the gift for up to 30 percent of your adjusted gross income and will not have to recognize the appreciation as capital gain.
- Closely Held Stock: A donation of your closely held stock can be a way for you to make a sizable charitable contribution while realizing valuable tax benefits.
- Real Estate: Using real estate, such as your house, farm, or commercial property, to fund a gift allows you to preserve your cash assets and receive significant tax benefits.
- Memorial/Honorary Gifts: A meaningful way to remember a friend or loved one, or honor someone special.
If your securities reside in a brokerage account, ask your broker to transfer the specified shares electronically. You will need to make this request in writing.
Include in the letter to your broker the following information:
Wentworth Institute of Technology DTC number = 0226
Wentworth Institute of Technology account number = Z43672513
Wentworth Institute of Technology tax exempt number = 04-1958460
The number of shares you would like transferred
You may also specify the college, program, and/or fund to which you would like your gift directed. Send a copy of this letter to:
Associate Vice President Office of Institutional Advancement
Wentworth Institute of Technology
550 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115
If you or your brokers have questions about making an electronic gift of securities, please have your broker contact Carol Estes-Schwartz at 617-989-4255 for more information. You should not allow your broker to sell the securities and send us a check. If the broker does this, the tax advantages of making a gift of appreciated stock may be eliminated.