You are here
Health At Every Size
What is Health At Every Size?
Health At Every Size is about adopting healthy habits for the sake of respecting your body and improving your health and wellness, rather than for the sole purpose of losing weight. Remember, there is more to health than a number on the scale. You can be healthy and happy with your body at any size.
According to the Association for Size Diversity and Health (ASDA), these are the basic principles for Health at Every Size:
- Accepting and respecting the diversity of body shapes and sizes
- Recognizing that health and well-being are multi-dimensional and that they include physical, social, spiritual, occupational, emotional, and intellectual aspects
- Promoting all aspects of health and well-being for people of all sizes
- Promoting eating in a manner which balances individual nutritional needs, hunger, satiety, appetite, and pleasure
- Promoting individually appropriate, enjoyable, life-enhancing physical activity, rather than exercise that is focused on a goal of weight loss
5 Ways to Practice Health At Every Size
- Pay attention to how certain foods make you feel. Nourish your body with whole foods that make your body feel good.
- Listen to your body. Pay attention to internal hunger cues. Eat slowly and savor your food.
- Explore different ways to be active. Try hiking, yoga, hulahooping, or a new sport. Find some physical activities that you enjoy and make room for them in your lifestyle.
- Cultivate a positive body image. Recognize that lots of body types are beautiful. Stop comparing yourself to other people or pictures in magazines.
- Treat yourself well by prioritizing other dimensions of wellness, like your spiritual, emotional, or occupational wellness.