Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Resident Director?

A Resident Director is a full-time, professional staff member who manages a residential area on campus. Their job is to ensure that every aspect of the building is running smoothly, from following up on work orders, supervising Resident Assistants and upholding the Student Code of Conduct. Our Resident Directors are there to ensure that the students get the best positive living experience at Wentworth. 

What is a Resident Assistant?

A Resident Assistant (RA) is an upper class student leader who serves as a resource in the residence halls.  They are responsible for community development in their residential area, enforcing the Student Conduct Code, and communicating important information to our residential students. Each community also has a Senior Resident Assistant (SRA). The SRA is a seasoned RA with several years in the position - one who takes on additional responsibilities and an elevated leadership role within the RA staff. 

When are the Resident Assistants on duty?

Resident Assistants (RAs) are on duty Sunday through Thursday from 8:00 p.m. to midnight, and on Friday and Saturday nights from 8:00 p.m. to 2 a.m.  Resident Assistants are available during these hours to assist students, provide community development programming, and facilitate walkthroughs of each community for health and safety. 

What additional safety measures do you have in place?

Wentworth contracts with a private security company, Longwood Security. Longwood Security works in our residence halls to keep watch over the halls in the evening hours.

Where is the Office of Housing and Residential Life located? 

The Office of Housing and Residential Life is located in the Apartments @ 525 Residence Hall, 101. The entrance to the office is on the corner of Huntington Avenue and Vancouver Street - on the north side of Huntington Avenue. The office is open from 8:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., Monday through Friday. In response to COVID-19, please no more than two students in the office at one time. Please use our email:

What is the address for me to receive mail?

Student mailboxes are located in the 555 Huntington Avenue, 610 Huntington Avenue and 525 Huntington Avenue buildings.

Students who reside in Baker Hall, Tudbury Hall, Evans Way Hall, or 68 Louis Prang will retrieve their mail from the Copy & Mail Center in Wentworth Hall. These students' Mail Stop number is 8000.

It is important that the address be listed properly in order to prevent loss or delivery delays.

The mailing address for letters and all USPS deliveries (except for USPS deliveries that require a signature) for all residents:

(Student’s name) MS_______
Wentworth Institute of Technology
555 Huntington Ave
Boston, MA 02115-5520

When using UPS, Airborne, DHL, Fed Ex Home, Federal Express, a local courier, or hand delivery of United States Postal Service (USPS) which requires a signature, use this address: (*NOTE: this is the address you should use when ordering packages from Amazon and other online retailers)

(Student’s name) MS_______
Wentworth Institute of Technology
550 Huntington AV
Boston, MA 02115-5998

If you receive a package, you will be notified via email from th Copy/Mail Center that it is waiting for you. To pick up an item, follow the instructions in the email and take your Wentworth ID Card to the appropriate Student Mailroom or to the school switchboard in Wentworth Hall, 1st floor. Packages will be given only to the student to whom they are addressed unless other arrangements are made. Unclaimed packages are subject to being returned to the sender after five (5) days unless other arrangements are made.

When mailing a gift card, the Post Office recommends sending it in a bubble wrap envelope, these are sorted by a separate system. 

If you do not know your Mail Stop number you can contact the Office of Housing and Residential Life:

What should I do if I lost my keys?

Report the lost keys to your AD or RD as soon as possible to put in a work order for new keys. Depending on which key is lost, new keys may need to be cut for the entire suite/apartment because locks may need to be changed. There is a lost key fine of $75 (per lost key) that will be added directly to your e-bill.

Where do First Year students live?

First Year students live in Baker Hall, Evans Way/Tudbury Hall, and 610 Huntington Avendue.

Where do Upper Class students live?

Wentworth currently offers the following options for upper class students: 555 Huntington Avenue, 610 Huntington Avenue, Apartments@525, Louis Prang/Vancouver Apartments, and Edwards Hall. 

How do I request a housing accommodation for a medical need?

All students in need of a housing accommodation due to a medical need must complete the Housing Accommodation form through the Center for Wellness

What types of appliances can we bring into the residence halls?

Students may bring a microwave and a refrigerator (no more than 4.4 cubit feet) to campus. Microfridges may be rented through the New England Student Service Company. They may also bring any single cup coffee maker that has an automatic shut off.  Appliances with an open coil, or without auto shutoffs, are not permitted (such as hotplates). For a full list of prohibited items, please visit the "What to Bring" section of our website.  

What meal plan options are available?

All residential students are required to purchase a meal plan. Wentworth offers three meal plans to choose from: Meal Plan A, Meal Plan B, Meal Plan C. All first year students will be assigned Meal Plan A. For more information on the meal plan, please visit the Wentworth Campus Dining website.

Can students have cars on campus?

First year students cannot have a car on campus. Any residential student wanting parking must request parking through the Office of Public Safety. It's important to note that not all students who request parking are provided a parking permit. For additional vehicle and parking questions please visit the Parking section of the Office of Public Safety website.

Do I have to live on campus?

The Wentworth Institute of Technology requires all first-year and second-year students enrolled for twelve (12) or more semester credit hours or coop to reside in Wentworth residence halls and participate in a meal plan. This requirement is applicable for all registered semesters (classes/coop) until the attainment of junior academic standing (as determined by the Student Service Center) or receipt of an exemption from the Office of Housing and Residential Life.

Students residing in housing or have signed a housing agreement are not eligible to be exempt from the residency requirement for the period of that housing agreement.

Exemptions to this requirement must be requested in writing to the Director of the Office of Housing and Residential Life (or designee) using the Request for Exemption from Residency Requirement form and appropriate documentation. Exemptions to this policy may be granted under certain conditions. These exemptions are:

  • Student is residing in the principal residence with a parent or legal guardian. Student must supply letter from parent/legal guardian stating that student is living with them for the academic year for which the exemption is applied for;
  • Student is 21 years of age or older by the first day of the fall semester for the academic year the exemption is applied for;
  • Student is married. A copy of the marriage certificate must be submitted as documentation;
  • Student has dependent child(ren) living with them. A copy of the birth certificate must be submitted as documentation.
  • Student is entering with transfer student status.
  • Student is an international student.
  • Can demonstrate other acceptable extenuating circumstances and provide appropriate documentation for review as outlined in the Residency Exemption Form.

All requests for exemption must be made by completing the Residency Exemption Form

Any student not granted exemption under this policy who fails to reside in Institute housing may be required to pay all room and board charges for the semester(s) in which the student failed to reside in Institute housing as required under this policy. Click here to see the proper procedures for Withdrawing from Housing, Requesting Housing Down Payment Refunds, and becoming exempt from the Residency Requirement.

What is included my room?

All of our residential communities are different. Every student is provided a bed, desk, desk chair, and wardrobe/drawer set. Check-out our Residential Communities page for more information about amenities, pictures and floor plans.

Can my friends come visit me?

Due to the safety precautions Wentworth Institute of Technology is observing during the COVID-19 Pandemic, no guests are permitted in the residence halls, or student rooms. 

What do I do if I want to change rooms during the year?

The Office of Housing and Residential Life recognizes that not all people are compatible and, at times, a room change may be the only solution. Students contemplating a room change should first discuss the situation with their roommates and then, if needed, seek the assistance of their Resident Assistant. Additionally, the entire Housing and Residential Life staff is available to assist residents with any roommate conflict.

Every resident student signs an agreement to occupy a specific room in a specific building. That student is financially responsible for his or her assigned space for the duration of the agreement. A room change is an amendment to this agreement. All room changes must be initiated with either the Resident Assistant, Assistant Director, or Resident Director of the student's assigned living area. A change of room requires the written approval of the Assistant Director or Resident Director. Unauthorized room changes may result in disciplinary action. During the first two weeks of the semester, no student-initiated room changes are allowed. After the first two weeks of the semester, residents may change their rooms, providing space is available. To initiate such a change, these students must see their Assistant Director or Resident Director. Wentworth Institute of Technology reserves the right to change room assignments at its discretion.