Common Registration Errors

Below is a list of the most common registration errors. Read the solutions below for assistance. When necessary, contact the department that owns the course that cannot be added (ex: for a COMP course, contact the Computer Science department) or the SSC to update/settle your student account.

“You have a hold on your account.”

  • Your account is not settled- usually due to an outstanding balance, missing financial aid paperwork, etc.
  • Contact the SSC at (617) 989-4020 or to settle your account.

“Please enter your Alternate PIN to access registration.”

  • You need a registration access code (RAC) code to register for classes.
  • Contact your primary advisor to obtain your RAC code or Alternative PIN code.

“Closed Course”

  • No more seats are available in the section.
  • Find another section or work with your primary advisor to create another schedule.

“Linked Course Required”

  • You are trying to add a lecture and lab that are not linked or you are missing a linked course.
  • Choose linked section, for example, labs CHEM3800-02 and CHEM3800-03 go with lecture CHEM3800-01.  Add lecture and lab sections at the same time.

“Prerequisite and Test Score Error”

  • You are missing a prerequisite or a co-requisite course.
  • Get department approval for missing prerequisite or choose a different course. Add co-requisite courses at the same time.

“Field of Study Restriction- Major”

  • This class is reserved for another major.
  • Choose another class.

“Time Conflict”

  • You have tried to add two courses that are scheduled at the same time.
  • Pick courses that are not scheduled at the same time.

“You are not allowed to register at this time”

  • You are trying to register at a time when registration is not available.
  • Wait until registration opens.  If you think you should be eligible to register contact the SSC.

“College Restriction”

  • You are trying to register for a Continuing Education course.
  • All Continuing Education courses have a section number starting with C (C01, C61, etc.)

“Class Restriction”

  • You are trying to register for a section that is restricted to another class level.
  • Choose another class or get department approval.

“Maximum Hours Exceeded”

  • You have exceeded the 20 credits maximum per semester.
  • Complete a Course Overload Form with required signatures and submit to the SSC to be processed.  Payment for additional credits are due at the time of registration.  Tuition/credit can be found on the Student Financial Service page.

“Duplicate Course”

  • You have listed two sections of the same course.
  • Delete the old section in your schedule and then add the new section.

“You have no registration time ticket.”

  • You are not an active student.
  • Contact the SSC at (617) 989-4020.

"Repeat Count Exceeds 1"

  • You are registering for a course you have already repeated once. 
  • If this is an attempt to register for a course for the 2nd or 3rd time, please go to your department chair to discuss your options.