Professional Certificate in Construction
College of Professional & Continuing Education
Part-Time Degree & Certificate Programs
Broaden your skills in construction
Wentworth’s construction certificate program offers a fast-paced course of study for adult learners who are looking to enter the construction industry or who would like to gain career-enhancing skills in plan reading, estimating, wood framing and masonry.
The program encompasses four courses, each worth 3.5 CEUs and each lasting only seven weeks. While studying at Wentworth, you’ll enjoy access to all of the Institute’s resources and support services, including the library, academic advising, career counseling and technical support.
Learn more about our Department of Construction Management.
Pursing a construction certificate from Wentworth enables you to:
- Master the symbols, dimension and structural details of plan reading
- Learn how to prepare a detailed cost estimate by pricing labor and equipment and assessing overhead
- Gain hands-on experience in the fundamentals of masonry and wood framing
- Understand how to ensure workplace safety through the OSHA elective
Admissions Requirements & Process
Applicants to the construction certificate program should be at least 22 years old and have a minimum of three years of work experience. Other admissions requirements include:
- Online application
- Current resume
- Plan Reading – Students learn the fundamentals of plan reading, including symbols, dimension and structural details with emphasis on architectural, structural and site plans for building construction projects.
- Estimating – This course covers the fundamentals of preparing a detailed cost estimate, including performing material quantity takeoffs, pricing labor and equipment, and evaluating overhead costs. Emphasis will be placed on wood, masonry and site-cast concrete.
- Wood Framing – This course is designed to familiarize students with the most common methods of wood framing, including rough building layouts of floor, wall and roof systems.
- Masonry – Students receive practical instruction in the fundamentals of masonry, including the use of masonry tools and materials. Cements, mortars, different bonds, estimating, flashing and washing masonry are discussed. Paving and concrete blocks are also covered by lecture and laboratory practice.
- Elective: OSHA Training – OSHA 30-hour construction courses are designed for any personnel responsible for workplace safety.
You're not alone! Wentworth offers a wide range of academic advising and support services for all students.
If you have questions about services ranging from billing to financial aid to registration, we can help you.