Bachelor of Science in Project Management
Wentworth Institute of Technology’s Bachelor of Science in project management provides working professionals with the opportunity to advance their careers in a fast-growing and highly rewarding occupation that cuts across the private, non-profit, and government sectors. One of the few bachelor’s degrees in project management in the U.S., Wentworth’s program was developed in collaboration with industry experts to give students the desired skills they need to be leaders in an increasingly complex workforce.
Never has there been a better time to become a project manager. According to the Project Management Institute (PMI), the 2011 median annual salary for a project manager in the U.S. was $105,000, with 71% reporting a pay increase from the previous year. PMI membership has also grown from about 43,000 members in 1999 to roughly 700,000 in 2012, pointing to strong occupational growth. Furthermore, PMI forecasts that between 2010 and 2020, 15.7 million new project management roles will be created across the globe.
Wentworth’s program provides students with a curriculum, aligned with the Project Management Book of Knowledge (PMBOK), that focuses on the skills most pertinent to project managers, including planning, risk management, project evaluation, and cost/schedule control. Students also build a well-rounded knowledge of the core principles of business through coursework in: management, leadership, marketing, finance, professional communications, and accounting.
The project management program format is designed for adult learners, with both online and on-campus delivery options. Core courses are offered in a condensed seven week format. The design of the program allows adult learners to pursue their education while still being able to work full-time and meet their personal obligations.
Wentworth allows students to transfer up to 80 credits into this program from prior educational and professional experiences.
- Complete the Application online
- Official high school or GED transcript
- Official transcript(s) from any college(s) you have attended
- Current resume
- Online math placement exam (if necessary)
- $50 application fee
Successful applicants for admission should
- Be 22 years of age or older
- Have a minimum of 3 years work experience
- COMM3100: Professional Communications (3)
- MGMT3050: Leadership & Management (4)
- MGMT2300: Organizational Behavior (3)
- MGMT1010: Intro to Project Management (4)
- MGMT2200: Business Research Methods (3)
- MGMT4150: Marketing Management (4)
- MGMT3300: Project Planning, Scheduling & Control (4)
- MGMT2700: Financial Accounting (3)
- MGMT3500: Financial Management (4)
- MGMT2600: Project Risk Management (3)
- MGMT3250: Managerial Accounting (4)
- MGMT3750: Project Evaluation & Performance (3)
- MGMT 5505: Capstone (6)
General Education Requirements
- ENGL1050: English Composition (3)
- ENGL1550: Literature & Composition (3)
- MATH/SCIENCE (to include Statistics) (13)
- ELECTIVE: Lower Level Humanities (3)
- ELECTIVE: Upper Level Humanities (3)
- ELECTIVE: Lower Level Social Science (3)
- ELECTIVE: Upper Level Social Science (6)
- ELECTIVE: General Education Elective (8)
- General Electives (38)
Degree Total: 128
Wentworth Institute of Technology is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). In addition, the Bachelor of Science in Project Management degree holds programmatic accreditation through the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE). More information can be found in the 2013-2014 annual reports to the IACBE.
Intended Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of the fundamental principles in business and project management.
- Students will apply quantitative tools in decision-making.
- Students will apply ethical principles to their leadership decisions.
- Students will exercise skills in analysis, critical thinking, and problem solving in the field of project management.
- Students will demonstrate effective professional communication skills.
- Students will integrate learning to address real world problems in project management.
Student outcomes are measured using a number of assessments. More information can be found in the 2013-2014 annual reports to the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE).
Wentworth's Bachelor of Science in Project Management is also offered at the following satellite locations:
IBEW 223 Training Center in Taunton
Starting Fall 2016 - in partnership with the training center of IBEW Local 223 - Wentworth’s College of Professional and Continuing Education will be offering a Bachelor's degree in Project Management at Myles Standish Industrial Park. Other degree programs and certificate programs are in development for the convenience of any student and working professional from the South Shore looking to further their education.
Bristol Community College
Wentworth Institute of Technology offers a bachelor’s degree in Project Management and will accept up to 80 BCC credits toward the degree, saving students time and money. Classes are taught by Wentworth faculty at BCC’s Fall River campus Wentworth also offers tuition discounts to BCC students and staff making this an affordable alternative to traveling to Wentworth’s Boston campus.
Massasoit Community College
Wentworth Institute of Technology and Massasoit Community College have entered into a partnership through which Wentworth will offer a bachelor’s degree program for Massasoit students, staff and alumni who have completed their associate degrees or enrolled as participants in the program at Massasoit.
Middlesex Community College
Middlesex Community College has developed an articulation agreement with Wentworth Institute of Technology. This agreement is designed to ease the transfer process, allowing a student to specifically plan a curriculum that will fit a chosen bachelor's degree program at Wentworth.
Springfield Technical Community College
Earn a Bachelor’s degree in Project Management from Wentworth Institute of Technology on the campus of Springfield Technical Community College. Our BS in Project Management program is ideal for working professionals as it is delivered in a hybrid format