Board of Trustees Ad Hoc Presidential Transition Committee Charter
As of May 10, 2018
Using the principles of shared governance, the purpose of the Ad Hoc Presidential Transition Committee is to assist the Board of Trustees as it oversees a successful transition from one president to the next by defining the needs of the institution, assigning responsibility for addressing the needs, and ensuring success.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish and implement a communication plan for the president’s announcement. Create, bring to reality, and celebrate the story of President Pantić’s years and the opportunities they have created for the future of the Institute.
- Make recommendations to assist the Board as it creates and oversees the presidential search process. Elements could include:
- A draft timeline with roles and responsibilities for the presidential search
- A draft recommended charter for the presidential search committee
- A draft request for proposals and list of suggested possible search consultants
- Outline of elements for a search committee and a process that models shared governance.
- Recommend that the Board assign the vice presidents collectively to develop and implement an Institute Bridge Plan to consolidate the gains of the Pantić’ years and position the Institute for its next stage of development under a new president. The Institute Bridge Plan should include development by shared governance processes the major initiatives to be advanced during 2018-2019. Serve as a support system and sounding board for the vice presidents in advancing a Board-approved Institute Bridge Plan.
- Assist the new president in making a successful transition into the role during the first 3-6 months of service.
Currently, the members are the Board Chair, Board Vice Chair, Board Treasurer, Long Range Planning Committee Board Chair, President, VP for Executive Affairs (transition coordinator), and VP for Institutional Advancement.
Over time, membership may change at the direction of the Board chair to reflect the needs of the committee at that time.
The committee will post brief notes to a dedicated intranet site for the transition process within a week of each meeting, including the topics discussed and any decisions made.
The committee is accountable to the Board of Trustees.
Reviewed and Approved by the Board of Trustees on May 10, 2018.