Presidential Transition: Message from Board Chair P. Michael Masterson
February 20, 2018
Dear Members of the Wentworth Community,
On behalf of the Board of Trustees, I write to thank Zorica Pantić for her transformational leadership as president of Wentworth Institute of Technology. President Pantić has notified me and the Wentworth community of her plan to retire from Wentworth effective May 31, 2019.
Dr. Pantić is a tireless and passionate advocate for the advancement of the Institute. Through her commitment and dedication to students, faculty, staff, and alumni, she has exemplified the mission and values of Wentworth.
During her time as president, Dr. Pantić has overseen a long period of financial stability, which has enabled our reinvestment in key strategic initiatives and strengthened the school’s academic reputation as a leader in engineering, design, management, and sciences education. As the first female engineer to lead a higher education institution of technology in the United States, and our first female president, Dr. Pantić has been a champion for STEM education, focusing her attention on student access and success.
Some of the most significant accomplishments achieved by our community during her presidency include:
- Achievement of “university” status in July 2017 to recognize the introduction of graduate education on our campus.
- The transformation of the physical infrastructure of the campus including our latest, $55 million, multipurpose academic building for engineering, innovation, and sciences, which is expected to be fully operational in January 2019.
- Expansion of undergraduate programs that reflect market needs and trends and remain true to the university’s focus on experiential and project-based learning.
- Enhanced focus on external partnerships and community relationships, innovation, and entrepreneurship as evidenced by our highly successful Accelerate, Innovation and Entrepreneurship Center.
- Investment in student life through the creation of the William H. Flanagan Campus Center and the building of two new residence halls.
Under President Pantić’s stewardship, Wentworth’s reputation and visibility has continued to rise, as evidenced by our national rankings and accolades.
We are appreciative and grateful for the strength and leadership of our president and the great foundation that she has built in positioning Wentworth for the future. The Board of Trustees looks forward to our work with the president over the next year as we continue to focus on our strategic priorities.
In preparing for this transition, the Board of Trustees will define a search process, which will be transparent and inclusive of all stakeholders, using the principles of shared governance. We have launched a website committed to providing important information about this transition process. Please bookmark wit.edu/presidential-transition, as it will be updated regularly.
Please join me in thanking President Pantić for her dedicated service and leadership to this university. I look forward to working with you all as we take this next important step together.
P. Michael Masterson
Chair of the Wentworth Board of Trustees