You are here
Alcohol and Controlled Substances Policy
In accordance with the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendment of 1989, and federal and state law, Wentworth prohibits the unlawful possession, use and/or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol on its property and/or as part of its activities. Members of the Wentworth community who are in violation of this policy are subject to local, state and federal law as well as discipline under Wentworth’s student and employee rules. Please refer to additional drug and alcohol abuse policies listed in Volume III, Subsection 3.1.6 (Employees) and Volume VII, Subsection 7.4.2 (Students) or on the Wentworth Web site http://wit.edu.
Serving Alcohol at Wentworth-Sponsored Events
If alcohol is to be served at a Wentworth sponsored and approved event, written approval must be obtained from either the division, dean or department chair one month in advance. At the initial meeting, they will assist the organizers of the event in obtaining any necessary permits. All guidelines and regulations contained in the Wentworth Policy on Alcohol and Controlled Substance Policy must be strictly observed. Any registered student organization seeking to serve alcohol at an event must complete comply with the policies and procedures outlined in the Student Organization Manual. The organization’s advisor assumes the responsibility of adhering to Wentworth guidelines and state law, and insuring that appropriate behavior is maintained at all times.
- All events must terminate by 12:00 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and by 2:00 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.
- Alcoholic beverages are to be consumed only in the designated room(s) approved for the event.
- Proof of legal drinking age will be required at the bar.
- Only those beverages sold and provided by the sponsoring organization of an event are to be consumed. Individuals are not permitted to bring their own beverages to an event.
- Wentworth encourages low risk use of alcohol. No person will be served alcohol if they are already visibly intoxicated. No alcohol will be given away as a prize.
- Drinking games will not be allowed.
- No person may purchase or obtain alcohol for another person unless the person is present at the time of purchase or service, regardless of whether they are of legal drinking age.
- Soft drinks and food must be made available for the duration of any activity where alcoholic beverages are served.
- Wentworth will discourage the inappropriate use of alcohol by any member of its community.