Wentworth Students Place First and Third at Business Competition
April 12, 2018
Student teams representing Wentworth Institute of Technology’s Department of Business Management and Electromechanical Engineering program have taken first and third place at the Suffolk Merrill Lynch Case Competition.
The competition, presented by the Sawyer Business School's Finance Department at Suffolk University, gave local undergraduates a chance to utilize their wealth management skills in a real-life setting, according to event organizers. Twenty-one teams competed.
To meet the case requirements, students had to submit a written proposal of approximately five pages. Final oral presentations by the top six teams were made on April 11 to a judges committee from Suffolk and Merrill Lynch.
The First Place Wentworth students’ efforts were guided by Professor Hossein Noorian of the Department of Business Management, who attributed the results to the team’s tenacity, energy, and hard work. Wentworth Assistant Professor Santiago Umaschi, Department of Management, advised the other Institute team.
The top three teams earned awards of $1,000 (1st prize); $500 (2nd prize), and $250 (3rd prize).
- The first-place team members (left to right in photo with Professor Noorian) were: Daniel Collins, BELM ‘19; Jeffrey Huey, BSBM ‘18; and Houssam Antar, BELM ‘18;
- The third-place team members were: Jake Landry, BSBM ‘19; Katie Schlosser, BSBM ‘19; and Cameron McLennan, BSBM ‘18.
“As engineering students with only one business course, we were able to stand our ground against finance majors at other universities,” said Antar. “This is testament to Wentworth’s focus on actual vs. just theoretical problem solving.
“At Wentworth, students foster a system-wide approach to problem solving, which allows us to constantly overcome new challenges and succeed where others might not.”
- May 19, 2020—The Center for Academic Excellence relates what worked for students during the spring semester.
- May 14, 2020—The team brought in $23,000 for the Student Emergency Fund.
- May 13, 2020—The multi-disciplinary team focused on rapid 3D and virtual reality modeling.