Respondus LockDown Browser
Respondus Lockdown Browser is a specially-designed web browser for taking tests in Blackboard. Respondus Lockdown Browser prevents students from copying, pasting, taking screen captures, using instant messaging programs, accessing other applications, or accessing other websites (unless configured to allow access to specified external sites).
Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
Prevents access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and network monitoring applications
Print, Print Screen and screen capture functions are disabled
Copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment is prevented
Right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts and task switching are disabled
An assessment cannot be exited until the student submits it for grading
Browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
Assessments that are set up for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers
Localized for multiple languages, including English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Portuguese
Supports screen readers (see details)
Available for Windows, Mac, iOS and other systems (see System Requirements)
Allows for linking to external content from within the exam (e.g. to show externally hosted photos or videos). Links in external content are disabled.
Allows for test results to be displayed in a secure manner
To use Respondus Lockdown Browser in your course, you will first need to enable the Respondus Lockdown Browser tool in your course. Then, you will be able to enable the Lockdown Browser requirement for individual exams.
Best practices for using Lockdown Browser in your class.
- Communicate to students that your course requires Respondus Lockdown Browser for your course exams.
- Provide a link for students to download Lockdown Browser within your course
- Create a practice test using Respondus Lockdown Browser
Who can use this software?
- Faculty and students utilize the Respondus LockDown Browser in different ways. For faculty, Respondus LockDown browser is integrated into Blackboard; faculty can turn on the requirement to use the LockDown Browser on a specific test from a control panel. Students who are required to use the LockDown browser must download and install the LockDown Browser to their personal computer.
Does anything need to be installed on a computer for Respondus LockDown Browser to be used for an online exam?
- Once installed, students MUST use LockDown Browser (not Chrome, Firefox, etc) to log in to their course, in order to take any exam which requires the use of LockDown Browser. Students should review the Student Quick Start Guide for Respondus LockDown Browser before taking an exam to ensure they understand how to use it. Instructors may wish to consider including a link to the Student Quick Start Guide in Blackboard Learn so students will know what they need to do to prepare to take an exam that uses LockDown Browser.
- Additionally, we encourage instructors to create a brief practice quiz (e.g., single true/false question) so that students can get an idea of what to expect when they take a test that requires Respondus LockDown Browser.
Is there language that I can use to announce the use of Lockdown Browser in my course?
Yes. We recommend a version of the following:
This course requires the use of LockDown Browser for online exams. Watch this short video to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser and the optional webcam feature (which may be required for some exams).
Then download and install LockDown Browser from this link:
To take an online test, start LockDown Browser and navigate to the exam. (You won't be able to access the exam with a standard web browser.) For additional details on using LockDown Browser, review this Student Quick Start Guide (PDF).
Finally, when taking an online exam, follow these guidelines:
Select a location where you won't be interrupted
Before starting the test, know how much time is available for it, and that you've allotted sufficient time to complete it
Turn off all mobile devices, phones, etc. and don't have them within reach
Clear your area of all external materials — books, papers, other computers, or devices
LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted
Where can I find Quick Start Guides for Respondus LockDown Browser?
How do I enable Respondus LockDown Browser for an exam in my course?
Respondus LockDown Browser tool is installed on Blackboard Learn. Faculty have to enable each test where students will be required to use LockDown Browser. For information on preparing and exam for use with Respondus LockDown Browser, please refer to the Instructor Quick Start Guide and/or view this video.
What are the Respondus LockDown Browser system requirements?
Respondus LockDown Browser can be used on PCs and Macs. Instructors have to option to allow students to use LockDown Browser on their iPads. The system requirements can be found at: respondus.com.
Additionally, viruses on the computer can affect Respondus LockDown Browser behavior. Always use antivirus software to keep your computer safe.
Should students take a practice test?
Yes, students should be encouraged to take a practice test prior to their first graded experience using LockDown Browser. Instructors are encouraged to provide students with unlimited attempts to take a practice test.
The practice test should have enough questions in it so that students can get an idea of what to expect when they take a test that requires Respondus LockDown Browser/Respondus Monitor.
Can an iPad be used with LockDown Browser?
The iPad Edition of "LockDown Browser" (available from iTunes) enables a student to use an iPad to take exams that require LockDown Browser. However, the instructor must first select a setting that permits the use of iPads for the exam. Review this knowledgebase article for more information.
Preparing an Exam using Respondus LockDown Browser
Please contact Learning Innovation & Technology for assistance using this product in your course. Email email@example.com, stop by Beatty 318, or call 617-989-5428.
Learning Innovation & Technology provides faculty training and support for Respondus LockDown Browser. Visit the LIT website for Blackboard Learn workshops.
For additional FAQs visit the Knowledgebase at Respondus.com.
For more information on accessibility settings view this accessibility knowledgebase article.