You are here
Make it Real
What is relevant education?
Intrinsic motivation in education, usually characterized by genuine interest or fascination in the subject, is often connected to the relevance of learning outcomes to the real world. Such motivation tends to lead to learning that is more likely to be long-lasting and self-sustaining.
What activities can make it real and relevant?
- Bring in current examples
- Use examples that relate to different majors in the class
- Bring in videos that bring the content to life
- Use guest speakers or videos of content experts
- Ask students to research and share examples of how the concepts show up in their fields of study
- Ask students to talk to experts in their field of study
- Ask students to critically reflect on their own experience with a concept or a current example in the news — how was the concept applied, what worked well, what would you do differently/advice you’d give