Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to do to work on campus?

In order to work on campus, you must have a social security number (SSN). If you already have a SSN, you can come to the Student Service Center once you have been hired by an on-campus department to complete employment paperwork.

If you do not have a SSN, submit a letter from the hiring department to International Student Services (ISS) verifying the job offer, your title, the pay rate, and the number of hours per week you will be working. Bring that to our office and we can provide you with an official letter of hire from the school. Please allow 2 business days for us to process your request. You can take this to the Tip O'Neill Building here in Boston to apply for your social security number. Typically you should be able to receive your social security card in five to ten business days. Visit our Employment page for more information.

Can I be registered for less than full-time classes?

As an F-1 student, you are required to be registered for at least 12 credits during every semester of required study. There are limited exceptions to this requirement , which an ISS staff member would have to authorize for you to maintain your F-1 status. Please contact us for more information.

When should I get my I-20 signed and who should I speak with?

You will need to have your I-20 signed any time you plan to travel outside the country. You will need to speak with the ISS staff at least two business days prior to your departure.

How can I reach the ISS Staff?

You can come in to the Student Service Center. Visit our Staff page for their direct contact information.

If I wish to transfer to a new college, what should I do?

You should complete a transfer release form and meet with a member of the ISS staff. Once all of your paperwork is completed, your SEVIS record will be released to the new school.

What do I need to do to prepare for Optional Practical Training (OPT)?

You must make an appointment with a member of the ISS staff and complete the I-765 EAD form. You will need two photocopies of all prior I-20's along with two passport sized photographs.

I'd like my relatives to attend my graduation. How can I help them enter the country for the ceremony?

The ISS staff can issue an official letter of invitation that will provide your family with proof that you are graduating along with the ceremony date, time and location. Please provide us with the following information about each family member you would like an invitation letter for: name, birth date, passport country, passport number, and relationship with student (e.g. Mother). Please allow 2 business for ISS to process your request.

What can I do if I do not receive financial aid?

International students are ineligible for U.S. financial aid. You may apply for alternative financing or set up a payment plan through Tuition Management Systems or visit If you need more information, please contact your Student Financial Services counselor.

How do I participate in the health insurance program?

Wentworth requires international students to be enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). All international students are automatically enrolled and billed for the college plan (SHIP) at the beginning of the semester. For coverage details including costs, benefits, exclusions, any reductions or limitation, please refer to the plan information located at or call 800-977-4698.