Position Announcement: Dean of the College of Engineering and Computer Science
Wentworth Institute of Technology is a nationally ranked university offering a powerful hands-on and career-focused education to students throughout the world. Wentworth is known as a college of opportunity with a track record of transforming students, including those with median academic records but high aptitude, into high-performing professionals. It also has a proud history of helping young men and women from under-resourced Boston communities succeed at a demanding STEM curriculum. To that end, Wentworth seeks:
- an exceptional leader with a distinguished record of academic and/or professional accomplishment;
- experience leading and managing faculty and staff in an academic or similar setting;
- a keen understanding of engineering and computer sciences disciplines as key drivers to solving major challenges of the future;
- a record of leading strategic planning and successful innovation based on the anticipation of future trends;
- demonstrated budgetary and financial acumen;
- commitment to excellence in teaching;
- support for the recruitment, retention, and success of a diverse community of students, faculty, and staff;
- a track record of making and implementing decisions in a collaborative and coordinated manner, including an appreciation of shared governance;
- an ability to engage industry leaders and build meaningful partnerships; and
- enthusiasm for external engagement and fundraising.
The search advisory committee invites inquiries, nominations, and expressions of interest for the position of Dean of the College of Engineering and Computer Science.
The College of Engineering and Computer Science combines inspired classroom learning, extensive hands-on projects and paid cooperative work experiences that prepare graduates for career success. Its innovative curriculum includes programs in biomedical engineering; civil engineering; electrical and computer engineering; mechanical engineering; and computer science and networking. The college is also home to the interdisciplinary engineering department which includes programs in electromechanical engineering, engineering and biological engineering. This is a time of transformation and opportunity at Wentworth as it searches for its fifth president in the institution's nearly 115 year history. Home to a number of Wentworth's signature programs, Engineering and Computer Science strives to prepare its graduates for productive and challenging careers in private practice, industry, government and the non-profit sector. Its programs provide a solid foundation for life-long professional development. To serve these goals the next dean will foster:
- Teaching Excellence and Transformative Pedagogy: that integrates experiential learning with classroom instruction to enhance opportunities for active and engaged learning, with an emphasis on hands-on assignments and cooperative work experiences.
- Disciplinary Depth, Interdisciplinary Scope and a Future-oriented Perspective: with rigorous curricula that represent the leading edge of knowledge in every discipline, while providing students greater flexibility in their education in order to meet diverse personal and professional goals by studying engineering alongside other disciplines.
- Engagement with Industry and the Community: through EPIC Learning projects, which offer interdisciplinary engagements with external parties; opportunities to develop entrepreneurial ventures; and service learning projects with community partners. EPIC Learning represents the essence of Wentworth’s commitment to learning by doing and empowers both faculty and students to take risks, experiment, and find the deeper purpose of their work.
- Global Engagement: The Dean will also have tremendous opportunity to collaborate with colleagues from across campus as Wentworth engages in a community conversation on global engagement. Launched early this year, the Office of the Provost is planning a series of open meetings to discuss why global engagement is broadly important for Wentworth and to consider the future of global engagement at the institution.
For more information on how to inquire or submit a nomination or application, please see the "Procedure for Candidacy" section of this website.