March 23rd, 2020: Important Update: COVID-19 Response
Dear Students, Faculty and Staff:
I am writing with an important update pertaining to Massachusetts Governor Baker issuing an order earlier today requiring the closure of all non-essential businesses effective Tuesday, March 24, 2020 beginning at noon and in effect through Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at noon.
Colleges and universities are exempt for “educators and staff supporting … distance learning, provision of school meals, or performing other essential student support functions, if operating under rules for social distancing.” The Massachusetts Department of Public Health will be issuing a “stay-at-home” advisory.
Information on Remote Working for Employees
Based on this order and advisory, all non-essential employees should be working remotely no later than noon tomorrow - Tuesday, March 24. All non-essential employees should continue to work remotely until at least Tuesday, April 7 noon or until further notice. We have identified staff who will be performing essential student support functions on campus, such as public safety, housing, and physical plant staff members. Those essential employees will shortly receive a letter providing confirmation of that status by the University. Please reach out to your supervisor if you have any questions about your status. All other employees are asked to leave campus by March 24 at noon and work remotely or until further notice.
Student Services Continue
- Virtual Student Services: All virtual students services continue, as I have previously communicated in my prior messages.
- Technology Services: Effective tomorrow, Technology Services is implementing remote-only support over the phone, email and online.
- Learning Innovation & Technology (LIT) hours are extended from 7:30 am to 7:30 pm Monday to Friday over Email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Phone 617.989.4500.
- Tech Spot support hours are extended from 7:30 am to 7:30 pm Monday to Friday over Email (email@example.com) and Phone 617.989.4500.
- If you require support for any technology concerns on campus, please contact the Tech Spot to discuss coverage and support options.
- Food Service on Campus: Food service continues as communicated last week.
Beatty Café – Offering to “to go” sandwiches, salads and entrees only
Monday – Friday: 8:00 am – 2:00 pm
Saturday – Sunday: Closed
Monday – Friday: 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Saturday – Sunday: 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm
- Mail Service on Campus: The Copy Mail Center will operate with limited staff for limited hours between 10:00 am – 2 pm on Mondays – Fridays. A staff member will be attending student mailboxes during those same hours. For student mailboxes, pickup will continue through Tuesday, March 24 at 555 Huntington Avenue and then beginning on Wednesday, March 25, student mail pick up will be at 610 Huntington Avenue.
- Bookstore: Effective Tuesday, March 24 at noon, the campus bookstore will be closed until further notice.
- Beatty Hall Hours: Beatty Hall will remain open during hours of Beatty Café’s operation.
We are asking everyone to follow all appropriate CDC, state, and local guidelines. We would like you to stay at home and limit all unnecessary activities outside of your homes (whether your home is off-campus or on-campus). Please limit gatherings, if any, to no more than ten people. Additionally, please continue to practice your social distancing in all settings, remaining at least six feet away from everyone.
We are living through unprecedented times, and I appreciate all you are doing to support each other and those in our community. Please stay well and be safe.
Mark A. Thompson, Ph.D.