You are here
Cooperative Education Overview
Hands-On Experience That Will Get You Hired
Wentworth offers one of the most comprehensive cooperative education (co-op) programs of its kind in the nation. A co-op is full-time, temporary employment in your field of study that enables you to apply classroom learning to professional work experience. Unlike most schools, co-op at Wentworth is a requirement: all undergraduate day students must successfully complete two co-op semesters in order to graduate.
You will have plenty of support to help you achieve your professional goals. Your first step is to complete the seven-week Co-op Institute seminar. Additionally, your dedicated Co-op + Career Advisor will work with you on résumé writing, job-search strategies, and interviewing techniques. We also provide annual career fairs, a mock interview event, online job search tools, and on-campus recruiting.
- Your co-op experiences will be directly related to your field of study, allowing you to tie your coursework to concrete knowledge developed in the workplace.
- Almost 60% of the class of 2016 were offered post-graduate full-time employment by their co-op employer.
- During your co-op experiences, you earn income and not pay tuition, allowing you to save toward future semesters.
- Eligibility for co-ops is determined by your class standing and cumulative GPA (check the academic catalogue for your major’s requirement)
- All undergraduate day students are required to complete two co-ops
- With the exception of Architecture, Applied Mathematics, and Electromechanical Engineering, all students must complete their required co-ops in the spring semester of their junior year and the fall semester of their senior year.
- With the exception of Architecture, Applied Mathematics, and Electromechanical Engineering, students may complete an optional co-op the summer following their sophomore year, and a second optional co-op after they have completed the two required co-ops; note that optional co-ops cannot be applied toward the graduation requirement.
- Applied Mathematics majors (3-year program) will complete their co-ops during the summer semester following their sophomore year and the spring semester of their final year.
- Architecture majors will complete their co-ops during the spring semester of their sophomore year and the summer semester of their junior year.
- Electromechanical Engineering is a five-year program, and students complete their required co-ops during the summers between their fourth and fifth years.
- If your co-op is local, you can choose to live on campus during it, maintaining close connections to friends and Wentworth activities.