Workforce Training and Development for the Journeyman Electrician License
College of Professional & Continuing Education
Workforce Training Program
Wentworth offers an accelerated, four semester journeyman electrician program to prepare individuals to become licensed Journeyman Electrician in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Taught by experienced professionals in the field, courses introduce students to a range of theoretical and applied concepts, and spend a significant portion of time covering the Massachusetts Electrical Code.
The program comprises four courses, each meeting twice per week and lasting 15 weeks. You will spend 150 hours in the classroom and earn 15 CEUs per course.
Students who complete this program will have:
- A deep understanding of Massachusetts regulations and the materials and mathematics used in the electrical trade for residential and industrial applications
- The classroom hours necessary to apply for the journeyman electrician license in the state of Massachusetts
Admissions Requirements & Process
Applicants must submit the following items(s) to apply:
- Spring 2020
- Summer 2020
- Fall 2020
These courses are designed to be taken one at a time and in the following sequence.
- Journeyman Electrician 1: Massachusetts regulations and materials used in the electrical trade will be covered. Students will learn the use of a calculator, series circuits, parallel circuits, graphical interpretation, resistance, inductance, capacitance, batteries, plan views, elevations, detail drawings and residential and commercial plans. This course also covers mathematical operations, algebraic equations and electrical problem-solving using algebraic solutions.
- Journeyman Electrician 2: This course covers applicable inductive reactance, capacitive reactance, series and parallel impedances, power, power factor, combination circuits and three-phase circuits. Plan views are examined in detail; circuits are followed and explained with respect to practical applications to the electrical code.
- Journeyman Electrician 3: Topics in this course include extensive code calculation, motor controls and motor calculations, service calculation for single and multi-family dwellings, and transformers. Also covered are residential and industrial calculations to prepare students for their license.
- Journeyman Electrician 4: The concluding course emphasizes characteristics of electrical devices, motors, generators, transformers, lighting, one-line diagrams, symbols and system operation.
Upon completion of the program, students must fill out and submit a form for verification of classroom hours. Instructions and the form. The form must be stamped by the registrar by request of the student and returned to the state with the application for licensure.