You are here
Certificate in Construction
College of Professional & Continuing Education
Part-Time Degree & Certificate Programs
Wentworth’s Construction Certificate program is designed for adult learners who are either looking to enter the construction industry or would like to gain career-enhancing skills in plan reading, estimating, wood framing and masonry.
Each of the four courses in this program takes 7-weeks to complete with course offerings in the evening and is worth 3.5 CEUs.
- Master the symbols, dimensions and structural details of plan reading
- Learn how to prepare a detailed cost estimate by pricing labor and equipment and assessing overhead
- Gain hands-on experience in the fundamentals of masonry and wood framing
- Understand how to ensure workforce safety through the OSHA elective
- Earn advance standing college credits in the degree program: BLDG155 Construction Methods and BLDG200 Construction Estimating
Admissions Requirements & Tuition
Applicants to this program should have a minimum of 3 years of work experience and submit the following:
- Spring 2018
- Summer 2018
- Fall 2018
- Plan Reading: Students learn the fundamentals of plan reading including symbols, dimension, and structural details with emphasis on architectural, structural, and site plans for building construction projects.
- Estimating: This course covers the fundamentals of preparing a detailed cost estimate including performing material quantity takeoffs, pricing labor and equipment and evaluating overhead costs. Emphasis will be placed on wood, masonry and site cast concrete. Prerequisite: TCON0210 Plan Reading or equivalent experience.
- Wood Framing: This course is designed to familiarize students with the most common methods of wood framing, including rough building layouts of floor, wall, and roof systems.
- Masonry: Students receive practical instruction in the fundamentals of masonry, including the use of masonry tools and materials. Cements, mortars, different Bonds, Estimating, Flashing and washing masonry are discussed. Paving and concrete blocks are also covered by lecture and laboratory practice
- Elective: OSHA-30 Training: OSHA 30-hour construction courses are designed for any personnel responsible for workplace safety. There are no prerequisites required for this course and the cost is $300.