You are here

2017-2018 Academic Catalog: Registration

Pre-registration is held for returning degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate students in November for the Spring semester and in March for Summer and Fall semesters. Prior to registration and depending on the student’s program, a Registration Access Code (RAC Code) is required and obtained from the students’ academic advisor. Students are required to resolve all holds placed on their student account before they can register for classes.

Students seeking registration into a Day or CPCE course require the approval of both CPCE and the department which offers the Day course.

Freshmen day students and all students on academic warning or probation are required to meet with their academic advisor prior to registration. For course registration that requires permission to register, students should contact the academic department offering the course prior to the scheduled date to register.

Registration for newly accepted students occurs during the summer prior to the student’s matriculation in the fall semester. Students register for their courses during New Student Orientation. Incoming transfer students are registered by their academic department chairs and the Registrar prior to their arrival based on awarded transfer credit to best fulfill their curricular requirements.

Registration for continuing students occurs for each of the three academic semesters. Prior to each registration period, course listings, specific registration dates and times, registration instructions as well as up to date information regarding course openings and prerequisites are available online through the LeopardWeb student portal. Responsibility for course selection and fulfillment of graduation requirements ultimately rests with the student.

Colleges of the Fenway Cross Registration

Wentworth is a member of the Colleges of the Fenway (COF), an association of six Fenway area institutions whose other members are Emmanuel College, Massachusetts College of Art & Design, MCPHS University, Simmons College, and Wheelock College.

Students interested in cross-registering for a course through the COF must complete a COF cross-registration form in the Student Service Center. Full time matriculated students may cross-register for up to two COF courses in each semester. Course offerings and other information are published online at

Students who cross-register must follow the academic policies and procedures of the host institution for that course. This includes the host institution’s academic honesty policy and adherence to their academic calendar. Discipline issues will be addressed by the student’s home institution.

Grades received in cross-registered COF courses will be computed in the cumulative grade point average in accordance with the Wentworth grading system. Pass (P) grades are not accepted at Wentworth. Students may not be allowed to register for courses that are graded on a Pass/Fail basis.

To ensure that the COF will satisfy a degree requirement, prior to taking the COF course the student must request course substitution approval for the course. A Transfer Credit Authorization Form must be submitted to the department which offers the Wentworth requirement. The curricular department chair determines if the course content and credit hours are equivalent to the Wentworth course and then approves or denies the petition.

In cases, which the course is required by a department other than the department which offers the course, the student may also need approval from the department which requires that course.

Class Standing

Class standing for undergraduate students is determined by the number of earned credit hours. It does not include credit hours for courses in progress or the number of semesters a student has attended the Institute.


Class Year Earned Credit Hours
Freshman 0-31
Sophomore 32-63
Junior 64-95
Senior 96-139
Fifth Year 140+

Undergraduate College of Professional and Continuing Education:

Class Year Earned Credit Hours
First Year 0-29
Second Year 30-49
Third Year 50-73
Fourth Year 74-93
Fifth Year 94-113
Sixth Year 114+

Registration Cancellation for Non-Payment

Students who do not have their accounts paid in full by the tuition due date, complete required financial aid paperwork, or have not made payment arrangements with Student Financial Services/Billing, class registration and/or housing assignment may be cancelled for non-payment.

If a student’s class registration and/or housing assignment is cancelled for non-payment, the student may re-register for classes, depending on class availability and provided appropriate payment arrangements are made.

If a student’s housing assignment is cancelled, there is no guarantee that the student will receive on-campus housing.

Approved methods to settle the bill:

  • Payment in full OR
  • Approved financial aid and all requirements complete OR
  • Approved payment plan

Course Load

Full-time undergraduate students must carry a course load of at least 12 credit hours. Failure to carry the minimum number of credit hours may jeopardize housing, financial aid status, athletic eligibility and health insurance.

  • COOP3000, COOP3500, COOP4500, and COOP5000 are considered full-time.
  • All graduate students enrolled in 9 or more credits are considered full-time.
  • Graduate students enrolled in 1 to 8 credits are considered part-time students.
  • International students must be full-time to maintain valid F-1 Student Visa status.

A full-time student may not schedule an overload of courses without the approval of an academic department chair on a Registration Exception form. An overload is any number of semester credit hours more than 20. No more than 24 credits or a total of six courses will be allowed. A student will be assessed a per credit tuition charge for each credit exceeding 20 credits in addition to the full-time tuition charge for that semester. Refer to the tuition and fees portion of the catalog for more information.

Course Changes and Withdrawals

Students can make schedule changes during the first week of the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters.  Students should consult the Academic Calendar for part of term course change dates.

Students who withdraw from a course after the end of the drop/add period and before the published deadline for the last day to withdraw will receive a W recorded in the grade column of their academic transcript. To withdraw from a course after the drop/add period, students must obtain the Course Withdrawal form in the Student Service Center, obtain the signatures of their instructor and academic advisor, and submit it to the Student Service Center no later than the deadline published in the Academic Calendar (Under extenuating circumstances the department chair’s signature may be substituted for the academic advisor’s signature.). Students will not be permitted to withdraw from courses after the published deadline; non-attendance does not constitute withdrawing from a course.

  • Students enrolled for less than 12 credit hours may impact a student’s financial aid package, housing, and may extend a student’s graduation date. International students who wish to withdraw from a course are required to obtain the written permission of the International Student Advisor in the Student Service Center; International students must be full-time to maintain valid F-1 Student Visa status.

Time conflicts of courses are not normally permitted. Students whose courses conflict should meet with their academic department chair to develop an appropriate alternative schedule and a curriculum plan. Under exceptional circumstances, students may register for courses with otherwise unresolvable time conflicts by obtaining on online time conflict override from the department admirative assistant of the course in conflict.

Transfer Credit after Matriculation

In order to receive credit for courses taken at another accredited institution, degree-seeking undergraduate students must obtain approval in advance. Failure to obtain this approval could result in denial of the course credit.

Transfer pre-approval forms Transfer Credit Authorization Form are available on the Registrar’s website and at the Student Service Center.  Requests for approval of a course from another institution should be accompanied by the course description from that institution's catalog. Approval must be obtained prior to registering for the course at the other institution. It is the students’ responsibility to have official transcripts sent directly by the institution to the Registrar’s Office upon completion of the course.

Students may not use a transfer course to replace a failed Wentworth course. Courses failed at Wentworth must be repeated at Wentworth.

Note: a minimum grade of "C" is required for credit transfer. Grades for courses taken at an institution other the Wentworth are not used in computing the student’s GPA. No academic credit is awarded for Internships/COOP’s, Practica, Directed Research, Preparatory, or remedial course work or for courses with grades of "P" or "S".  Grades for coursework completed at another institution are not recorded on the students’ official transcript, transfer credit is assigned "TR".

Incoming Freshman or New Transfer students wishing to transfer credits to Wentworth must submit an official transcript to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions before the Institute can evaluate and award credit. Students who have attended regionally accredited institutions can expect to receive credit for successfully completed courses (bearing a grade of "C" or higher) that are comparable in depth and content to those offered at Wentworth.  In some cases, courses will transfer as elective credit and those credits will count towards the overall hours required for graduation, but not satisfy program requirements. 

English Requirement (Effective for Transfer students applying after September 1, 2017)

English Placement Process 

During the first few semesters on campus, all Wentworth Day students must complete an English sequence as a component of their degree requirements. Prior to the start of each semester, all incoming students will be placed into the appropriate English course based on the required writing sample completed during on-campus sessions. 

Writing Sample Exemptions Exemptions to the required writing sample are made for students whose submitted SAT scores in both writing and verbal, or submitted ACT scores, are above the minimum score requirement; OR AP English Language and Composition Exam scores of 3 or higher. Students with the prerequisite SAT scores will be placed into English I (ENGL1100) for fall. Those with an AP English Language and Composition Exam score of 3 or higher have the option of placement directly into English II (ENGL2200). Students who have scored below the minimum score on either the writing, the verbal, or both sections of the SAT or ACT, as well as students whose SAT or ACT scores are not submitted, must complete a required writing sample in order to determine the best writing course placement. 

Based on the student’s English placement, Day students will be required to complete one of the English sequences below: 

  • ENGL1100 and ENGL2200 
  • ENGL0900, ENGL1100, and ENGL2200 
  • ENGL0800, ENGL1100, and ENGL2200 
  • ENGL0700, ENGL0800, and ENGL1100 

Students who are required to take the English placement and have not done so prior classes starting will be permitted to register for ENGL0900. To ensure proper placement, students placed into ENGL0700, ENGL0800, and ENGL0900 will be reassessed during the first week and able to reregister if necessary. 

The ENGL2200 requirement must be completed at Wentworth. Transfer credit and course substitutions are not permitted for ENGL2200.   In circumstances that warrant it, exceptions to this policy may be made at the discretion of the Chair of the Dept. of Humanities and Social Science; in such cases, students must appeal to the Chair of HSS directly, who may also defer to the expertise of the English faculty.  

CPCE students complete one of two English sequences: 

· ENGL1050 and ENGL2050 

· ENGL0250, ENGL1050 and ENGL2050 

Some students who start in ENGL0250 may get an exemption from ENGL1050 based on the recommendation of their instructor and the approval of the dean of CPCE.

Humanities/Social Sciences Requirements 

Day Programs 

The satisfactory completion of an English sequence is prerequisite to all other courses in the Humanities and Social Sciences department. All Day program students must complete a minimum of 28 credits, including English courses, from the Humanities and Social Sciences department. Because the Humanities and Social Sciences department believes there should be a balance of electives in the student’s program, Day program students are required to complete: 

  • At least one course in Humanities 
  • At least one course in the Social Sciences 
  • The remaining courses from either the Humanities or Social Sciences category. 

To assist students with selecting an HSS Elective, courses that satisfy a Humanities or Social Science requirement will be identified during the registration process and in student's consultation with their academic advisors. 

Students in programs with Directed HSS Electives may use the directed course to satisfy the Humanities or Social Science as determined by that HSS course. 

To complete the Humanities and Social Science graduation requirement, the entire 20 elective credits may not be taken exclusively in Humanities or exclusively Social Sciences. Students whose English sequence requires 3 English courses may use the third English course to satisfy a Humanities Elective requirement. 

A minimum of 28 credits total, including English, Humanities, and Social Science credit, is required to complete the Humanities and Social Sciences graduation requirement. Additional HSS courses may be required if a program determines an HSS course or discipline would be beneficial in the program’s curriculum. 

Directed HSS Electives 

Offered within the Humanities and Social Sciences Department, an HSS Directed Elective is a specific Humanities or Social Science course (e.g. ECON4102), or an HSS discipline (e.g. Ethics), which a program department has determined would be beneficial or necessary in the program’s curriculum. Of the required five HSS electives, no more than two may be directed by the major program. In majors with HSS Directed Electives, it is a program graduation requirement. Students in programs with HSS Directed Electives may use the directed course to satisfy the Humanities or Social Science as determined by that HSS course. 

To assist students with selecting courses, courses that satisfy a Directed HSS Elective requirement will be identified during the registration process and in student's consultation with their academic advisors. 

General Electives 

A general elective is any course that meets the following criteria: 

  • The course cannot simultaneously fulfill two program requirements. 
  • The course must be within the 1000-4999 number range. 
  • The course name, number, or content are not equivalent to a course previously taken by the student (i.e., a student cannot take a CPCE, Day, or Colleges of the Fenway course if it is determined by the academic department chair or dean of CPCE that the content is equivalent to a course the student has already taken). 

Program Electives 

Some programs require technical electives. Generally, students choose courses that advance their interest in the discipline. Some program electives are specific to the program, such as architecture or engineering electives. Students should consult with their advisor for electives that best suit their major and interests. 

To assist students with selecting program electives, courses that satisfy this requirement will be identified during the registration process and in student's consultation with their academic advisors.