You are here

2017-2018 Academic Catalog: Change or Declare Programs

Change of Major - Day Program

Students seeking to change their major should inform their current academic advisor and consult with the academic department chair of the new major they are considering. The academic department chair, or other department representative, will interview the student and review the academic record. If the request is approved, a Change of Major form is completed, which lists all completed courses accepted into the new major; the grade point average in (GPA) the new major will consist of only those courses accepted in the new major. The signatures of academic department chair and the student are required for the change to become official. Change of majors for a current semester must be received and processed by the Registrar prior to the end of the add period, otherwise all change of majors will become effective at the start of the next semester the student is enrolled. It is important to note that not all change of major requests are granted by the department chair if evidence of academic success is not documented on the student’s academic record. A change of major does not remove the historical academic sanctions that were applied under previous major.

Students considering a change of major should be aware of the potential impact of time to graduate and financial standing. Students are advised to meet with a financial services counselor to discuss any potential impact to financial aid and tuition payments because of the change of major.

Change of Major – College of Professional and Continuing Education (CPCE)

Current CPCE students who wish to change majors must have a grade point average of at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA and should contact their advisor to begin the review process.  The advisor will interview the student, review the academic record, and identify any courses that will be transferred into the new major.  The grade point average in the new major will consist of only those courses taken in the new major. The completed change of major form must have the signatures of the academic advisor and the student prior to being submitted to the Registrar. Change of majors for a current semester must be received and processed by the Registrar prior to the end of the add period, otherwise all change of majors will effective at the start of the next semester the student is enrolled.

Students wishing to change from full time day programs to the College of Professional and Continuing Education must contact CPCE Admissions. Students wishing to change from a CPCE program to a full-time day program must submit an application to Undergraduate Day Admissions.

Add a Second Degree

Matriculating undergraduates pursuing two baccalaureate degrees must complete at least an additional 36 credit hours in residence and all requirements of the second major. Because the program requirements for each major must be met, it is possible that more than 36 semester credit hours will be needed to fulfill these requirements. For day baccalaureate majors, an additional cooperative work semester is required in the new major in such cases, a second degree is recorded on the student’s transcript and dated accordingly; Wentworth does not allow concurrent dual degrees.

Returning students pursuing an additional degree from Wentworth Institute of Technology must have completed all requirements for the first degree and be formally approved to return in pursuit of a second degree. Non- matriculating students will be held to the catalog year in which the second degree is initiated and will complete at least 36 additional credits in residence. Coursework completed in the first baccalaureate degree cannot be applied to the minimum of 36 credits in residence requirement; this restriction includes converting a minor/s into a second degree. Upon completion of all required coursework, the additional degree will be recorded on the students’ transcript and dated accordingly.

The same policies apply to CPCE students, with the exceptions that a minimum of 32 semester credit hours must be taken, and no cooperative work semester is required.

Students seeking a second major are advised to consult with Student Financial Services and Financial Aid.

Add or Drop a Minor(s)

Bachelor degree candidates who choose to minor are required to do so no later than the end of the junior year by filing a Minor Declaration form with the Registrar. The Minor Declaration form must be signed by the department chair of the student major and the department chair of the new minor; students wishing to drop a minor must follow the same procedure. All changes must be submitted prior to submitting a Degree Application to insure an accurate review of a student’s academic record and the timely awarding of a baccalaureate degree.

Add a Certificate (CPCE only)

Bachelor degree candidates who choose to add a certificate may do so by filing the Certificate Declaration form with the Registrar no later the second semester of their junior year and in advance of submitting their Degree Application.

Change Catalog Year

Students are assumed to be following requirements for the various degrees/majors/minors as printed in the University Catalog for their first enrollment term at the Institute.

Students who wish to follow degree requirements in a subsequent catalog must have the approval of their department chair and file a Change of Major form with the Registrar.

Change of Major form

This form is available from the Office of the Registrar or on the Registrar’s website and must be used:

  • to change a major
  • to declare a minor
  • to declare a second minor
  • to change a minor
  • to declare a certificate (CPCE only)
  • to change the Catalog under which they will be evaluated for graduation.

WIT Academic Credit Awarded for Academic Engagement

Credits Awarded Minutes of “Academic Engagement” * Clock Hour 50-minute “hour”
1 2,250 (37.5 hours) 45 37.5
2 4,500 (75 hours) 90 75
3 6,750 (112.5 hours) 135 112.5
4 9,000 (150 hours) 180 150
5 11,250 (187.50 hours) 225 187.5
6 13,500 (225 hours) 270 225


Guidance to Institutions and Accrediting Agencies Regarding a Credit Hour as Defined in the Final Regulations Published on October 29, 2010

An amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than:

  • One hour* of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit, or ten to twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or
  • At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution, including laboratory work, internships, practice, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.

*NEASC assumes a 50 minute “hour.”