2016-2017 Academic Catalog: Master of Science in Technology Management
Technology Management (MSTM)
Leading to the Master of Science Degree
Philip Hammond, Director of Graduate Programs
Dobbs Hall, Room 107
The online Master of Science in Technology Management (MSTM) degree at Wentworth Institute of Technology is designed to elevate students’ business acumen, strategic thinking, and people skills, all within the context of the issues and challenges specific to the technical world. Graduates of the MSTM program will be equipped with the management skills, expertise, and ethics necessary to be successful within technology-based enterprises.
The MSTM program is designed for technical professionals who desire to manage and lead within a technical environment. The program is offered in a fully online delivery format to provide maximum flexibility, and is designed to be completed in under two years on a part-time basis.
Graduates of the Master of Science in Technology Management program will be prepared for a variety of managerial positions in the technical world.
Online course discussion groups are a key component of the MSTM program, allowing students to regularly interact with and learn from both their instructors and fellow classmates. MSTM instructors are both subject matter experts and industry practitioners. Furthermore, most MSTM students are currently employed in a technical environment, facilitating peer-to-peer learning.
Program Mission Statement/Goals
The primary educational objective of this program is to provide graduates with the knowledge and skill sets needed to function successfully in middle and upper level technology management positions. Other objectives are to link theory and practice to create real world applications and value, introduce new software and technology, and improve management skills through research and the application of best practices.
Master of Science in Technology Management Program Learning Goals
- Understand the theory and application of advanced business management theories.
- Demonstrate an understanding of strategic technology management.
- Demonstrate an understanding of finance and accounting.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities.
- Understand the critical success factors for leading teams and related organizational development issues.
- Understand the relevance of the increasingly international business environment.
- Demonstrate executive level decision-making and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to deal with complex business challenges, and utilize best practices to arrive at solution sets required of mid and senior level technology managers.
These graduate students are provided with a sound basis on which to build lifelong learning and research skills so they are able to initiate, critically examine and adapt to innovation and change.
Total credits for degree: 30
This is a two-year program, starting in the fall semester of the student’s first year and planned to be completed in five semesters.
Technology Management (MSTM)
First Year, Fall Semester (total credits 6)
- MGMT7100, Project Management Applications
- MGMT7000. Business Relations & HR Management
First Year, Spring Semester (total credits 6)
- MGMT7050, Business Finance and Investments
- MGMT7450, Communication Strategies
First Year, Summer Semester (total credits 6)
- MGMT7150, Business Operations and Process Management
- TMGT8000 Strategic Technology Business Management
Second Year, Fall Semester (total credits 6)
- MGMT7200, Leadership
- TNGT8100, Management of New Product Development
Second Year, Spring Semester (total credits 3)
- MGMT7350, Marketing Management
- TMGT8500, Capstone