You are here

2012-2013 Academic Catalog: Student Services and Facilities


Angel Ayres, Director

Nelson Recreation Center Room 202A


Students are encouraged to participate in the varsity, intramural, club, and recreational athletic programs available at Wentworth. Specific information is available in the Athletic Department office in the Nelson Recreation Center. Wentworth is a Division III member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and competes as a member of the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC). It is also affiliated with Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC).

Varsity Sports

Wentworth offers intercollegiate competition for men in baseball, basketball, golf, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer, tennis, and volleyball. Women’s intercollegiate teams include basketball, lacrosse, soccer, softball, tennis, and volleyball. Schedules can be found in the Athletic Office, the Dean of Students’ Office, and on the Wentworth website.

Intramural Competition

Wentworth offers students the opportunity to compete in a number of sports through the Colleges of the Fenway (COF) intramural program. Games are played in many sports including: basketball, flag football, indoor soccer, dodgeball, softball, volleyball and whiffleball. All day program students enrolled at Wentworth who satisfy the conditions of eligibility may compete. Varsity athletes may not participate in intramural competition in those sports in which they are presently competing at the varsity level.

A full listing of intramural offerings for the academic year is available on the Colleges of the Fenway website.

The Tansey Gymnasium and the Nelson Recreation Center contains three standard basketball courts and facilities for one-wall handball, volleyball, and similar sports. In addition, there is a fully-equipped fitness center on the third floor. Locker rooms for both men and women are available. The main athletic offices are located on the second floor.

Tansey Gymnasium and Nelson Recreation Center

Sweeney Field, an outdoor athletic complex on campus, consists of regulation lacrosse, soccer, and softball fields with lighting for evening use. This facility is also available for recreational and intramural uses. There are also three tennis courts located between the Nelson Recreation Center and Watson Hall.


Greg Denon, Director

Wentworth Hall, Room 101


The Wentworth Career Center offers students and graduates a full range of career services which includes career advising, cooperative education, career information and resources, graduate school planning, and employment services. The Center is located in Wentworth Hall and is open Monday through Friday, 8:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.

Career Services

Career Services provides career advising to students or alumni (client) at any point in their college or post-college experience. Career Services assists clients with individual career issues; with gathering occupational and employment information; with establishing short- and long-term career goals; with exploring different career paths; and with making informed and purposeful career decisions.

Cooperative Education

As a requirement for graduation, undergraduate day program students complete two cooperative education semesters, typically one in each of the junior and senior years. A student must register for a co-op course in order for their work experience to fulfill a co-op requirement. Typically, a student will not take other courses during their co-op semester. Enrollment in a co-op course maintains a student’s full-time student status.

Note that transfer students must complete at least one semester in residence at Wentworth before being eligible for the cooperative education program.

Students must reach an appropriate class standing and have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher to qualify for co-op. Students not meeting this standard by the end of the semester immediately preceding their co-op term will not be eligible for co-op. The student will be dropped from their co-op enrollment.

Upon completion of the co-op and assignments, students earn a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grade, which is recorded on the student’s academic transcript.

Review of transferable industrial work experience (as a substitute for co-op) must be work congruent with approved co-op positions. Occasionally students enter the baccalaureate day programs with substantial work experience in their major field. With the approval of the Director of the Career Center, this work experience may be substituted for one or both of the cooperative education requirements. Students must formally petition to receive this course substitution.

Two semesters of optional cooperative education are also offered, one in the summer prior to junior year for students who have completed all prerequisites for junior year courses and have a cumulative GPA of at least a 2.0, the other for students who have successfully completed their two required semesters.

There is no cooperative education requirement for students in the College of Professional and Continuing Education.

Career Information and Resources

Career Services makes current career information and employment projections accessible to students as they explore and make their career decisions.

Employment Services

Career Services assists clients in exploring possibilities that match their career goal; developing job-search competencies and methods to present themselves effectively; obtaining information on employment opportunities (full-time and co-op) and prospective employers; connecting with employers; developing and maintaining relationships with employers.

Through an online job posting and recruiting system, an annual career fair and specialized recruiting events, students and employers are able to connect for co-op and full-time job opportunities.

Graduate School Planning

Career Services assists clients in obtaining information on graduate/professional schools and preparing for the graduate/professional school application process.


Joseph Boston, Director

553 Huntington Avenue


The Center for Community & Learning Partnerships facilitates and strengthens partnerships that yield transformative educational experiences for students while addressing community interests. Students can engage in community-based work through classroom-based projects, organized student groups, or as individual volunteers. Further, students can initiate their own project ideas with guidance and resources provided by the Center. Resources available to students include education awards for service, community work study, community-co-op, training, and program support. Students who engage in extensive community-based work can also enroll to earn a Certificate for Community Learning as part of their degree. Information about the Center’s many projects, programs, and resources can be found on the web at


Maura Mulligan, Director

Watson Hall, Room 003


The Center for Wellness and Disability Services features professionally trained staff who are available to discuss various mental health, disability, and wellness issues with students. Mental health counselors are frequently consulted for a number of reasons, which may include family issues, problems in relationships, eating disorders, stress, anxiety, depression, adjustment to college life. Students with documented disabilities also access the Center to arrange necessary accommodations and for individualized support for academic and study difficulties.

Students seeking mental health services may be seen for short-term therapy or can be given a referral to an off-campus therapist. The services of the Center are available without charge. All sessions with counselors are strictly confidential. In addition to counseling services, the Center provides referrals to local psychiatric services for students in need of medication management.

Faculty and staff can play an integral role in identifying students who may need a referral to a counselor. If there are concerns about a student, faculty and staff are encouraged to consult with the Center. Faculty and staff are also encouraged to contact the Counselor-On-Call via Wentworth Public Safety for any issues related to serious mental health concerns that may arise during the evenings and weekends.

A student with a learning, physical, or psychiatric disability should contact the Center. Support services and reasonable accommodations can be arranged. Timely notification is necessary for coordinating appropriate services.

The Center is located on the ground floor of Watson Hall, Room 003. The Center’s hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Early morning and evening appointments can be individually arranged if necessary to accommodate student schedules. Appointments may be made in person, by calling 617-989-4390, or by e-mailing


Massachusetts College of Art and Design

Student Health Services

578 Huntington Avenue


Harvard Vanguard Student Health Services is open weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. from September to May. Summer hours are weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., with appointments available from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. Please call 617-879-5220 to make an appointment.

Wentworth students also have access to medical care at Harvard Vanguard’s Kenmore practice (133 Brookline Avenue, across from Landmark Center) when Health Services is not open. This would include weekday mornings from 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m., weekday evenings from 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., and Sundays and holidays from 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Please call 617-879-5220 to make an appointment.

Students are strongly encouraged to register as a patient with Health Services before their first appointment. Please call 800-249-1767 to register. Please identify yourself as a Wentworth student and have your insurance information (i.e. insurance card) available.

Health Services will bill students’ insurance plans for all services rendered. Students must present their student identification cards and also their health insurance cards at every appointment, just as they do when accessing their doctor’s office at home.

Health Services respects student confidentiality under the HIPPA laws. No health information is released to parents or college staff without the student’s written authorization unless required by law or unless it is a life-threatening situation. For additional information about Health Services, please visit

Medical advice is also available to students during times when neither Health Services nor the Harvard Vanguard Kenmore practices are open. This can be accessed by calling Health Services at 617-879-5220.

In the case of a life-threatening emergency, students should immediately contact Wentworth Office of Public Safety at 617-989-4400.


Phillip Bernard, Director

Evans Way, Room 002


The Office of Housing and Residential Life (OHRL) is grounded in its belief that every interaction provides an opportunity to educate. In partnership with other campus offices, OHRL creates and facilitates residential communities that support and develop students’ personal, academic, and professional success. Wentworth accommodates over 1,900 students in multiple residence halls:

Evans Way and Tudbury Halls are arranged in suites of 4 to 12 students. Each suite has a central living room, one to two bathrooms, and two to four bedrooms. Evans Way also has a study room, exercise room, a game room, and a multi-purpose auditorium. Students living here are required to purchase the “A” meal plan

Baker Hall is a traditional style residence hall. The five floors in Baker Hall provide a community atmosphere with frequent opportunities to interact with other students. The building has community lounges for group studying or socializing. Students living here are required to purchase the “A” meal plan

Edwards/Rodgers is an apartment complex housing upper class students in studio and one-bedroom apartments. Each apartment has a kitchen and dining area, bathroom, living room, and bedroom. (In the studios, the living and bedroom are one room.) Edwards/Rodgers also has a study room/game room, and an outdoor barbeque grill for student use. Student living here are required to purchase the “C” meal plan.

Louis Prang and Vancouver Street apartments are available for upper class students and offer a variety of living arrangements. All units have kitchen and bathroom facilities and are managed by the Edwards/Rodgers residence director and resident assistant staff. Student living here are required to purchase the “C” meal plan.

610 Huntington Avenue houses upper class students in 4 and 6 person apartments with double bedrooms, a common area, kitchen, and bathroom. 610 Huntington Avenue also features an exercise room, a computer room, a large lounge, a game room, and a meeting/study area. Students living here are required to purchase the “C” meal plan.

555 Huntington Avenue houses upper-class students in 4 to 9 person apartments with singles, doubles, and triples. All apartments have a kitchen area, bathroom, and bedrooms. Each floor above the second has a lounge/study area. Students living here are required to purchase the “C” meal plan.

Each of the co-ed residence halls is staffed by a professional live-in Resident Director and a paraprofessional staff of undergraduate Resident Assistants responsible for maintaining a safe, welcoming, educational, and purposeful community focused on personal and social student development. If students have questions or concerns about their living situation they are encouraged to seek the help of a Resident Assistant or their Resident Director who oversee the residential areas.

For more information, call 617-989-4160, email, or visit the Housing and Residential Life Office located on the ground floor in the rear of the Evans Way residence hall.


Jeanmarie Ambrose, Director
Student Service Center
Phone: 617-989-4391

International Student Services (ISS) staff members are available to assist international students in maintaining their legal non-immigrant status in the United States (U.S.) and strives to ensure a smooth transition to life in the U.S. through International Student Orientation and other programs throughout the year. ISS is available to assist students individually in their personal, social, and academic adjustment to Wentworth and the U.S.

ISS is the source of information at Wentworth regarding the regulations and policies of the U.S. government as they pertain to international students. Any international student with questions regarding his or her F-1 Student status should contact ISS to obtain an analysis of, and recommendations for, his or her specific situation. ISS will address questions related to employment, maintaining valid status, obtaining a new visa or Form I-20, or any other related topic.

It is the responsibility of each student to maintain his or her valid status in the United States. Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) records of international students are maintained through ISS in order to provide information to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) on each student as required by law.


Carissa Durfee, Director

026 Flanagan Campus Center, Beatty Hall


The Office of Campus Life works with the student clubs, organizations, and interested students to plan programs and activities for the Wentworth community.

Opportunities for involvement at Wentworth are extensive. Organizations and professional associations affiliated with students’ majors provide a way to get involved, round out their college experience, and pursue their interests. A listing of the recognized clubs and organizations is available in the Campus Life suite and at

Programs coordinated and offered by Campus Life include leadership programs, the spring awards program, Family Weekend, the Flanagan Campus Center, Colleges of the Fenway co-sponsored events, tickets to various theatres, movies, museums, shows, and Boston attractions. Campus Life also provides advisement and support for each individual club, as well as the Wentworth Student Government (WSG), the Wentworth Events Board (WEB), and the WIRE internet radio station.

Wentworth also offers students the opportunity to join one of its club sports: men’s and women’s crew, cycling, mountain biking, men’s rugby, women’s rugby, and ultimate Frisbee. These teams offer training and compete at the collegiate level.

For more information, contact Campus Life at 617-989-4080. Also consult the web page at and the weekly events email for various links and announcements. The Office of Campus Life is open Monday-Friday from 8:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.

Flanagan Campus Center

The Flanagan Campus Center is the heart of campus. Students can shoot pool, watch TV and collaborate on projects. The Schumann Fitness Center and the cafeteria are both located within the Flanagan Campus Center. Students can use the Meditation Room for prayer or meditation. Student organizations are encouraged to utilize the Student Organization Office for their resources and needs. Discounted tickets to local attractions and general information are available at the Info Hub.

The Flanagan Campus Center is open Monday through Friday from 6AM-11PM, Saturday from 7AM-11PM, and Sunday from 10AM-11PM with reduced hours during holidays and breaks. Contact the Info Hub at 617-989-INFO (617-989-4636).


Charles Noyes, Director

610 Huntington Avenue


The 24-hour Public Safety Office is located at 610 Huntington Avenue on the first level of the residence hall. The department provides 24-hour police, medical, and security services to the campus community. Public Safety assistance or safety escorts may be obtained by calling 617-989-4400, or activating an information/emergency call box located throughout campus. In case of an emergency, call 617-989-4444.

We strongly encourage all community members to promptly report criminal and suspicious activity, potential threats to the community, and other emergencies to the Public Safety Department.


Annamaria Wenner, Associate Vice President and Dean of Students

Rubenstein Hall Room 003


The Office of Student Affairs is a resource, referral agent and advocate for students. Staffed by the Dean of Students, Associate Dean of Student, and Office Coordinator, The Office of Student Affairs provides information and support for students regarding non-academic and, in some instances, academic matters. The Office advocates for students through various initiatives and committees that focus on the student experience at Wentworth.

Through the Office of Student Affairs, students can:

  • Receive information or referrals regarding non-academic and academic matters
  • Receive information regarding Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
  • Receive information on diversity initiatives, programming, and resources
  • Inquire about services, resources, and opportunities available on campus
  • Receive assistance in long term absences from the Institute
  • Sign up for alcohol, drug, or community standards education classes
  • Learn about student leadership opportunities
  • Receive a Wentworth Student Handbook

Student Services and Facilities 2012-2013 Course Catalog, Wentworth Institute of Technology

Wentworth, in Boston, MA, offers career-focused undergraduate and graduate degrees in engineering, computer science, architecture,design and management.