You are here

2012-2013 Academic Catalog: Change of Major


Students seeking to change their major should inform their current academic advisor and consult with the academic department chair of the new major they are considering. The academic department chair, or other department representative, will interview the student and review his/her academic record. A Change of Major or Readmission form is filled out and signed by the student. Courses to be accepted into the new major are included with the form.

The grade point average in the new major will consist of only those courses used in the new major and must be at least 2.0 to enter the major. The academic department chair signs the form indicating whether the petition is approved or denied. Academic department chairs are not required to approve petitions if, in their opinion, the student will not succeed academically.

Changing academic majors can impact the length of time to graduation and financial standing. Students are advised to also meet with their financial aid and student financial services counselors to discuss any potential impact to their financial aid and tuition payments as a result of the change of major.

For current CPCE students to change majors they should contact the Director of Advising. The Director of Advising will interview the student, review his/her academic record, and identify any courses that will be transferred into the new major. The student must then complete and sign the Petition of Change of Major or Readmission form, listing all courses accepted into the new major.

Students must have a grade point average of 2.0 to change majors. The grade point average in the new major will consist of only those courses taken in the new major.

Day students wanting to change majors into a CPCE program should contact CPCE admissions.