You are here
Applied Mathematics, B.S. Degree (BSAM)
Mission of the Applied Mathematics Program
The B.S. in Applied Mathematics links mathematics and the worlds of science, technology, engineering and social science. Mathematical principles are used to derive such varied types of information as the strength of materials, the behavior of fluids, the spread of disease and the rate of inflation. Students will learn to integrate analytical and computational tools in the modeling of physical, biological and/or economic processes. The problem solving skills that the Applied Math major develops will apply across disciplines.
The program can be done in 3 or 4 years.
Click here to see the 2017-2018 - 3-year and 4-year curriculum tracks.
For previous year tracking sheets:
2014-2015 tracking sheets
2015-2016 tracking sheets
2016-2017 tracking sheets
Applied Mathematics Program Outcomes
Program graduates will be able to:
- Apply mathematical concepts to perform computations, model phenomena, and write proofs.
- Effectively use mathematical software packages for computation, modeling and presentations.
- Write code in a high-level computer programming language.
- Deliver clear and precise, written and oral presentations, demonstrating: (1) comprehension of mathematical content and (2) the ability to communicate that mathematical content to different audiences.
- Apply mathematics in a professional setting.
Employment Opportunities with a BS in Applied Mathematics
Program graduates will be able to work as:
- Software developers
- Investment managers
- Quality assurance engineers
- Operations researchers
In a variety of fields: