Transfer Student Admissions
Transfer Online Chats
- Interested in transferring to Wentworth Institute of Technology? Join the Wentworth Admissions Staff and students in one of our online chats. This is your opportunity to ask questions about our programs, application requirements, transfer credit, scholarships, campus life and more. We look forward to chatting with you!
Thinking about Transferring to Wentworth?
Finding the right school is all about fit—with your character, personality, learning style and your academic and career goals. We are glad you are considering Wentworth as you continue your education. We’re always interested in motivated, career-oriented students who want to make a difference in the world.
When evaluating transfer applicants, we have two primary criteria:
- Academic achievement – We look at both high school and college transcripts; a typical admitted transfer student at Wentworth has an average GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Personal qualities – Through a candidate’s personal statement or essay, and interests and activities, we look for those who are motivated to succeed in their chosen field.
Wentworth allows you to transfer credits for courses you have already taken. We review each course on an individual basis to determine if it is applicable and acceptable. Credits will be transferred only for courses with a grade of C or better. You must complete 50% of your curriculum at Wentworth in order to graduate.
Applying to Wentworth
Wentworth practices rolling admissions, which means we review each application as soon as we receive all required documents. The priority deadline for spring applicants is December 1 and fall applications is February 15. After this date, some programs may be closed to further applications, so we encourage you to apply early.
Transfer Application Requirements
- We accept any of the following online submissions:
Your Official Transcripts
- Your final official high school transcript and official college transcripts. Please note that transcripts are considered official only if sent directly from your high school and/or previous college.
- The Transfer College Report is a student conduct records form that prior institution(s) will send to Undergraduate Admissions. This document must be completed by a college official who is responsible for maintaining student disciplinary records and will indicate whether or not there has been any disciplinary infractions at your college or university.
- Students within one year of high school must submit official ACT or SAT scores as part of the transfer application process. Official scores should be sent to us directly from College Board or ACT. Wentworth's College Board code is 3958 and ACT code is 1928. Scores may also be submitted directly from your guidance office. In addition, please note:
- In order to receive full consideration for admittance, we encourage students to sit for the SAT no later than January of each year. Applicants who either apply or who take the SAT after January will be reviewed on a space-available basis for the intended major.
- Redesigned SAT
- If you are applying for Fall 2017 or later, you may submit scores from the old SAT if the exam was completed prior to March 2016.
- If you take both the old and the new SAT, both exams may be submitted.
- If you did not complete the SAT prior to March 2016, you must submit the new SAT scores.
- We require at least one recommendation from a professor or other professional familiar with your academic abilities.
- You can submit your essay with your application, or send it separately by mail or email. The required length is 250-500 words. Please make sure your name is included on your essay.
- Be sure to include your participation in community service activities, athletic teams, employment and involvement in clubs and organizations.
- You must complete a mathematics course of study through the Algebra II level, at least one laboratory science course (e.g., Biology, Chemistry, or Physics), and four years of English.
- Students applying for Applied Mathematics, Applied Sciences, Computer Science, Cybersecurity or Electromechanical, Civil, Computer, Biomedical, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering must also have taken a minimum of Pre-Calculus.
- Students planning to major in Industrial or Interior Design who have taken similar coursework at other institutions must submit a portfolio of their work for review by the Department of Design and Facilities for consideration of transfer credit. Students should contact the department directly to schedule the review. Students majoring in Architecture must complete all architectural courses at Wentworth.
- Please take a look at our Transfer Credit Guide for more information of how your credits may transfer to Wentworth from another institution.
Additional Information for International Transfer Students
- Wentworth Institute of Technology requires that applicants with coursework or degrees from a non-U.S. university have their transcript evaluated for potential transfer credit. Students must obtain a professional transcript evaluation from one of the following companies:
- Center for Educational Documentation (CED)
- World Education Services, Inc. (WES)
- Type of transcript evaluation report students should order: Course-by-Course Report
- All transfer students (U.S. and non-U.S. universities) must also provide a catalog or syllabus form each post-secondary school attended containing course descriptions for all classes completed. If the documents are in a language other than English, they must be accompanied by the official English translations. All records should indicate the number of lecture and/or laboratory hours per week and the grade received for each course.
Additional Information for Specific Applicants
- International or international transfer applicants
- Interior Design, Industrial Design, or Architecture applicants: Transfer applicants who wish to be evaluated for possible transfer credit in design or drawing courses must submit a portfolio.
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals
How We Evaluate Transfer Credit
We know your ability to transfer credits can play a critical role in your decision to attend Wentworth. Therefore, we streamline the evaluation process as much as possible.
We review every course to determine its applicability to the program for which you are applying. Credits will be transferred only for courses with a grade of C or better. Generally, we evaluate classes based on their available catalog descriptions.
Students planning to major in Industrial or Interior Design who have taken similar coursework at other institutions must submit a portfolio of their work for review by the Department of Design and Facilities for consideration of transfer credit. Students should contact the department directly to schedule the review. Students majoring in Architecture must complete all architectural courses at Wentworth.
Please take a look at our Transfer Credit Guide for more information of how your credits may transfer to Wentworth from another institution. To learn more about Advanced Placement/International Baccalaureate exams and to see how scores are currently transferring, please click here. To learn more about Project Lead The Way and receiving college credit, please click here.
Students are required to take a minimum of 50 percent of their curriculum at Wentworth. If you have questions about the required course of study for any of our majors, please review the Wentworth catalog carefully and/or contact the appropriate academic department directly.
Once accepted, we will send you an evaluation of your transfer credits and a list of courses you need to take at Wentworth – usually within three weeks following your acceptance letter.
For more information
Wentworth Admissions Office
617-989-4000 or 800-556-0610