Skip to main content

International Student Services

Easing Your Transition to Attending School in the U.S.

As a part of the Wentworth Student Service Center (SSC), International Student Services (ISS) assists over 200 non-immigrant visa students at Wentworth Institute of Technology who have joined our community from approximately 55 countries around the world. Programming and services offered by ISS include orientation for new students, up-to date information on and assistance with U.S. government regulations, and advising on a host of personal, employment, and immigration issues affecting international students.

All international students who are new to Wentworth should contact ISS upon arrival on campus.

The mission of International Student Services is to:

  • provide services that support the successful educational experiences of Wentworth international students. This includes providing information to students regarding maintenance of legal status in the U.S., work authorizations, travel to the U.S., etc. It also includes providing programming relevant to the international student experience and acting as a resource and liaison for international students adjusting to a new culture and academic system.
  • provide programs such as International Student Orientation, International Student Career Workshop and Around the World Intercultural Celebration for Wentworth international students and the WIT community and also collaborate with members of the Colleges of the Fenway consortium to provide services and programs such as an International Student Thanksgiving Dinner.
  • serve as a resource for Wentworth faculty and staff seeking to establish programs for internationals in the U.S., seeking to establish exchanges with partners abroad or seeking to provide support for Wentworth international students.

ISS collaborates with the Admissions Office, Student Affairs offices, academic departments and the Colleges of the Fenway to increase awareness of the value to our student population and the entire Wentworth community of international education on our campus.

Contact Us

Dena Reuben, Assistant Director of International Student Services Email: Phone: (617) 989-4680

Traveling During the School Break?

If you are an F-1 international student traveling outside of the U.S. during the school vacation, be sure to carry the following documents when returning to the U.S.:

  • Passport valid for at least 6 months
  • Valid F-1 visa
  • Wentworth Form I-20 signed within 6 months/one semester
  • Financial documentation

If you need a new travel signature on your I-20, please submit to the Student Service Center:

  • I-20 travel signature request form completed in full
  • The original of your most recent I-20 for o Copy of your most recent I-94 record
  • Copy of your valid passport
  • Copy of your F-1 Visa

If registration for the next semester has begun, you must be registered. Please allow 2 business days for our office to process your travel signature request. If you have any questions or will be traveling in less than two days, contact us at

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is the type of work authorization required for Wentworth F-1 students to participate in a mandatory co-op, whether the co-op is on-campus or off-campus.  Students planning for a mandatory co-op must work with their co-op advisor to get their co-op job approved and submit a complete application for CPT to International Student Services at least 5 business days prior to the co-op job start date.   

**Please be aware that it is a violation of F-1 Student status to begin employment before employment authorization begins. **

You can access CPT application here.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Optional Practical Training (OPT) employment authorization is a benefit of F-1 status that allows students to work off-campus in a field related to their major area of study. Obtaining OPT is a two-step process which begins with a recommendation from the DSO and is completed with approval of the application by USCIS and issuing of an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). You can access the it by clicking on the following link to the OPT application