2015-2016 Academic Catalog: Reserve Officers Training Corp (ROTC)
Air Force Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) is an educational and leadership program designed to provide young men and women the opportunity to become Air Force officers while completing a bachelor’s or master’s degree. The Air Force ROTC program prepares students to assume challenging positions of responsibility and importance in the Air Force.
Through a cross-enrolled program with Boston University, interested Wentworth Institute of Technology students may participate in the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps Program. Requirements include yearly Aerospace Studies classes, Leadership Laboratory classes, and physical fitness training. Mandatory weekly time commitments range from 5 to 7 hours. Once students complete their degree, the Air Force offers a wide variety of career fields from which to choose including flying opportunities as a pilot, navigator, or weapons controller. The Air Force has opportunities for students primarily in engineering majors. In addition to the tremendous leadership and management training that cadets receive, they can also benefit from several scholarship programs.
Students interested in joining the Air Force ROTC program or wanting more information should contact the Department of Aerospace Studies, Boston University, 118 Bay State Road, Boston, MA, 02215 at 617-353-6316 or 4705. Classes are held at Boston University. A student can also visit the detachment website at: www.bu.edu/af-rotc.
Army Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) has been a part of Wentworth’s curriculum for many years. Sponsored through Northeastern University, ROTC offers three-year and four-year Army officer training programs that complement Wentworth’s educational program.
The Department of Military Science of Northeastern University administers the ROTC program for Wentworth Institute of Technology students. Army ROTC provides leadership training on campus and leadership exercises at local off campus training sites. The goal of the program is to commission the future officer leadership of the United States Army. It fosters the American tradition of the citizen-soldier, responsive to civilian control.
Courses of Study
The Army ROTC program consists of two phases: the Basic Course (freshman and sophomore years for 5 year program students; freshman year for 4 year program students) which incurs no obligation on non-scholarship students; and the Advanced Course (taken during the remaining years of the academic program). Eligibility for the Advanced Course is conditional upon satisfactory completion of the Basic Course or its equivalent. Participation in the Basic Course provides students with an excellent opportunity to decide if they wish to become Army officers.
Army Financial Assistance
1. Wentworth cadets can apply for a ROTC scholarship in their freshman or sophomore years. Scholarship benefits are awarded up to $25,000 per year to be used toward tuition and mandatory fees not related to room and board.
2. Every scholarship recipient receives up to $1,200 per year for books and supplies and a monthly stipend of $300 to $500 while in school.
Wentworth Financial Assistance
Wentworth students who receive military scholarships from the Army ROTC programs will be granted a room scholarship for each year the military scholarship is in effect. Recipients should notify the Financial Aid office.
Army Commission and Service Requirements
- Basic Course (freshman/sophomore) cadets, who are not scholarship recipients, do not incur any military obligation, and may withdraw from the program at any time.
- Any contracted cadets agree to accept an Army commission and serve on either Active Duty (full-time) or Reserve Duty (part-time) with duty in the Army Reserve or the National Guard (one weekend each month and two weeks each year).
- The commitment requirements are three (3) one-hour morning physical training sessions per week, one to three hours of class per week, a one and a half hour weekly leadership laboratory session, and one weekend field training exercise per semester.
- Cadets will be commissioned as Second Lieutenants and fulfill an eight -year service obligation with active duty or reserve or a combination thereof.
Interested students should contact:
335A Huntington Avenue
Boston MA 02115
Reserve Officers Training Corp (ROTC), 2015 - 2016 Course Catalog, Wentworth Institute of Technology
Wentworth, in Boston, MA, offers career-focused undergraduate and graduate degrees in engineering, computer science, architecture,design and management.