August 15, 2013

Graduate Feature: Jackson Spivey

Jackson Spivey

Business Management

What did you enjoy most about your program?

I really enjoyed the diverse education presented by the Business Management program. BSM allows students to experience such a wide variety of topics, which is essential for young graduates preparing to enter the workforce. Each topic could easily be related directly to real-world situations and co-op experiences. Management professors bring loads of industry experience to the classroom, information that, in my opinion, is infinitely more valuable than anything learned from a textbook.

What was your most memorable college experience?

It isn’t a specific moment, but I would say just spending time with my friends here has to be the most memorable. I think most people forget many aspects of college over time, but you will never forget the people you met and spent your time with.

What’s the most important thing you learned at Wentworth – what’s your biggest takeaway?

The most important thing I learned is the importance of making a lasting impact on people. Whether in an academic, professional, or personal situation, it is essential to meet people and give them something to remember. Whether you know it or not, these are the people who are essential in finding jobs and making connections down the line. Of the students I know who have already secured a job after graduation, the vast majority came from contacts made during co-op or other situations during their time at Wentworth.

What did you like best about co-op, where did you do it, what was your position?

I really enjoyed how co-op gave me an opportunity to experiment with different aspects of business without the commitment of a full-time, postgraduate job. I was able to spend time in advertising and market research before finding a position in politics. At my third co-op I served as an intern for US Senator Mark Begich in his Washington, DC office. The position allowed me to see the inner workings of the U.S. government while working on both national and Alaska-based issues.

What are your future plans?

After graduation I will be moving back to Alaska to become involved in state politics. Eventually I would like to pursue a JD and MBA and use my academic and professional experiences to continually improve the quality of life for all Alaskans. 

What’s your favorite part of going to school in Boston?

I really enjoyed the wide variety of activities available as a student living in Boston. The city offers a nice blend of big-city pace and revolutionary culture, and is a great place to spend your college years. 

What’s your reaction to graduating from college?

I am excited to move on from college to the next exciting step in my life. While I will certainly miss my friends and the city of Boston, it is definitely a relief to see years of hard work culminate with a degree from this fine institution and a future in an area I love.

Click here to read more graduate profiles.