May 02, 2013

Graduate Feature: Joanna Gustafson

Joanna Gustafson

Electromechanical Engineering

What did you enjoy most about your program?

The most enjoyable part of the electromechanical program was the challenging design courses provided by our school. I enjoyed these most because they mimicked the experience I would face after graduation. They incorporated different atmospheres and gave students a feel for what working on an actual project for a company would be like after we graduated. These courses also tested our knowledge in many professional areas. These classes were most enjoyable because I got to work on something that let me be innovative and applicable in the engineering world alongside my classmates.  

What was your most memorable college experience?

One of my most memorable college experiences was playing on the Wentworth women’s tennis team. Playing tennis has always been one of my favorite activities, but I felt it was very helpful in my freshman year to have the aspect of time management, and to have the need to prioritize school work that allowed me to continue playing tennis.  I am a strong believer in the “work hard, play hard” philosophy, and being able to set time out of each day to play competitively with my friends will definitely be one of my biggest memories about college.  

What’s the most important thing you learned at Wentworth? What’s your biggest takeaway?

One of the biggest takeaways from Wentworth I will always have is how important and beneficial the co-op experience really is. The ability to create connections and begin building a solid foundation is really a jump start to our working career. Many of my friends and I have all had positive co-op experiences. We either accepted jobs with our co-op employers or have built exceptionally strong résumés that will allow us to find successful companies that we want to work for. I believe that Wentworth has done an excellent job of creating well-rounded students that are ready for the workforce.

What did you like best about co-op, where did you do it, what was your position?

During my time at Wentworth I decided to do three co-ops, one of which was optional. For my optional and first required co-op I worked at Tyco Safety Products located in Westminster, Mass., in the mechanical research and development department. With this company, I mainly worked in the mechanical department on developing components for fire alarm systems used for life safety. For my second co-op, I worked in the electrical department at Vanderweil Engineers, where I was an Electrical MEP Designer intern. There I worked with professional engineers on designing electrical systems for commercial buildings.  I enjoyed the ability to try new areas of engineering through my co-ops and discover which types of industries I enjoyed most. My experiences at Tyco and Vanderweil showed me two very different areas of the industries and helped me decide which industry I want to pursue after graduation.

What are your plans after graduation?

Upon graduation I will be starting my career with Vanderweil Engineers as a full time electrical designer. My co-op experience with Vanderweil was very enjoyable and showed me the areas of the industry I want to concentrate on. I will continue to concentrate on electrical design and develop my professional experience with their team.

Click here to read more graduate profiles.