November 01, 2012

Soaring to New Heights with GE Aviation

Tara Montgomery

Facilities Planning and Management '13
Co-op Employer: GE Aviation in Lynn, MA
Position: Facilities Engineering Intern

Finding the Right Fit
By working as a facilities intern, Montgomery is able to follow her passion for architecture while entering into a field that’s constantly growing. “After listening to Professors Suzanne Kennedy and Richard Christiano talk about facilities management, I knew it was the right career path to incorporate my passions and goals,” she says. 

Jack of All Trades
At GE Aviation, Montgomery takes on many different tasks – from auditing costs to compiling a quality control manual to taking photos for engineering project managers. Her main role involves ensuring that GE Aviation stays safe by monitoring pressure and safety valves and creating a Quality Control Manual. “What I’ve learned most at my co-op is that I need to be prepared to take on additional projects and tasks at any given moment,” said Montgomery. “No matter if I’ve completed previous jobs or not, the list will continue to grow.”

Learning from the Best
GE Aviation employs around 3,400 people – a number that would intimidate most students. But Montgomery, who works with about 30 people directly, enjoys the large group. “It allows me to learn a multitude of functions and network a lot,” said Montgomery. “Most of them have a breadth of knowledge from 15-30 years of service. Knowledge from that kind of experience is only something you can find on the job and not in the classroom.” Montgomery hopes to turn this co-op into a career with GE.