August 18, 2011

Graduate Profile Ron Jean

Headshot of RonElectronic Engineering Technology

What did you enjoy most about your program?
I enjoyed the small classroom sizes and that a lot of the professors at Wentworth have great industry experience in their fields.

What was your most memorable college experience (both inside and outside of the classroom)?
A memorable college experience inside the classroom would have to be taking an electromagnetics course with Professor Grenquist spring semester of my senior year. Professor Grenquist did more than teach me the engineering fundamentals required of him—he also inspired me each class with his phenomenal stories and unique style of teaching. I will never forget those in-class experiences. A memorable outside the classroom experience would definitely be my leadership roles and participation in organizations such as the National Society of Black Engineers, Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation, and as a Resident Assistant. 

What’s the most important thing you learned at Wentworth – what’s your biggest takeaway?
The most important thing I learned would have to be the importance of working in a team efficiently as well as being a leader in any situation.

What did you like best about co-op, where did you do it, what was your position?
I loved that our co-ops were in the fall and spring semesters because it provided me with more of a “professional” experience while not having to be in class during a fall or spring semester for a change. I had the opportunity to complete co-ops at National Grid as an operations engineer, as well as an electrical engineer at both Integrated Design Group and Jacobs Engineering Group.

What are your future plans?
My plan is to attend graduate school this fall at Polytechnic Institute of New York University (NYU-POLY) in Brooklyn, NY, for a Master’s of Science in Electrical Engineering–Power Concentration.

What’s your reaction to graduating from college?
All the knowledge, friends, and leadership experience I have acquired at Wentworth have been instrumental to the success I’ve had and plan to receive in the future. 

Additional thoughts/reflections/perspective?
I learned here at Wentworth that it’s good to work hard but better to work smart.