August 18, 2011

Graduate Profile Kelsey Holt

Headshot of KelseyInterior Design 

What did you enjoy most about your program?
I appreciated the diversity in the curriculum that allowed me to develop my design skills artistically and technically. It gave me a broad overview of working professionally as an interior designer, which allowed me to succeed in my co-ops. Also, the professors made a great impact, as they are all so knowledgeable and supportive.

What was your most memorable college experience?
My involvement on campus gave me many memorable experiences. I enjoyed the interaction with many different groups of people through my involvement in clubs, leadership programs, alternative spring break, and being a peer tutor. Each allowed me many opportunities and the privilege to work with people outside my major.

What’s the most important thing you learned at Wentworth – what’s your biggest takeaway?
The ability to work on many types of projects in studio gave me a great deal of knowledge in industries such as corporate, institutional, residential, and educational. Each project had its challenges and new things to learn. It’s a great feeling to look back on each project and how my abilities have developed over just a semester. I will feel confident going into a professional design environment and taking on any type of project.

What did you like best about co-op, where did you do it, what was your position?
I spent three co-ops learning the ins and outs of educational facilities. I did my first two co-op semesters at Bridgewater State University, where I worked as an administrative/project assistant. At Bridgewater, I was able to experience the facilities management and planning field and was responsible for many tasks including space planning and project management. For my second co-op, I worked at Boston University as an assistant designer, where I was responsible for many interior renovations. This included putting together bid documents, making finish and furniture selections, and project coordination. For both co-ops I enjoyed working with university clients directly and seeing each project come to completion.

What are your future plans?
I plan to find a job as an interior designer within a local Boston firm. I hope to gain experience in many facets of design and construction through my academic and career development. I have plans to further my education in the direction of construction and facilities management.