September 09, 2009

Co-op Experience: Benjamin Wolf

"I love my job. After working two co-ops at DEKA, I can honestly say I have never once woken up and thought 'I don't want to go to work today.' Every day is interesting and exciting."

Electromechanical Engineering (BELM) ’10
Co-op Employer: DEKA Research & Development
Position: Engineering Intern

Co-op Success

From his cooperative education experiences, Benjamin Wolf, BELM ’10, has found a job he loves and has gained insight into his professional future; something that can take people years to achieve. Working two co-op semesters at DEKA Research & Development has given Wolf the opportunity to take an initial idea and expand it into a project, building and testing the idea in a lab. Wolf especially appreciated that, even though there were always people around for guidance if he needed help, he was given the freedom to work independently. Most importantly, Wolf has been able to learn directly from the owner of the company and inventor of the Segway, Dean Kamen.

“I love my job. After working two co-ops at DEKA, I can honestly say I have never once woken up and thought ‘I don’t want to go to work today.’ Every day is interesting and exciting.”

On-the-Job Lessons

From Wolf’s co-ops, he gained experience with many different engineering software packages that he had already been exposed to at Wentworth, presenting him with the opportunity to learn more about them through real-life experience.

“DEKA allowed me to incorporate the knowledge I have acquired at Wentworth into everyday activities. There are some skills that can’t be learned in a classroom.”

Post-Graduation Plans

Wolf now has a very good sense of what he wants to do following graduation. He can envision himself working at DEKA, as their focus on solving global problems that are impacting people all over the world is something that resonates with him. The most recent product unveiled by Kamen is a portable water purifying device designed to address the world’s fresh water shortage, especially in developing countries. The package is made up of a water purifier called Slingshot, which uses far less power than previous models, and a Stirling engine based power generator that runs on cow manure. The two products have been in development for years and Wolf was able to participate in the testing.

“Through DEKA, I have been made aware of the clean water shortage that is affecting millions of people across the globe and what steps are being taken to change it.”