"With the increasing sophistication of the current built environment, the Master of Science in Facility Management is becoming a pre-requisite for facility management leadership positions at many companies with sophisticated building systems and operations."
Steven Fugarazzo, Director, Facilities Engineering and Energy Conservation, Raytheon Company
Master of Science
The Master of Science in Facility Management (MSFM) program at Wentworth Institute of Technology is designed to educate students in foundational post-graduate management principles and enhance facility management skills and knowledge. Students will learn the leadership and business skills necessary to respond to the demand to keep their facilities highly efficient and functional. Coursework will also integrate elements of several related disciplines, including: project management, finance, real estate, humans and their working environment, space planning, building operations and maintenance, and quality assessment.
Graduates of the MSFM program will be prepared for leadership roles in facility management and related industries. Research shows facility management professionals are in demand now more than ever, with 65-70% of facility managers expected to retire in the next 5 to 10 years. Furthermore, the International Facility Management Association reported in their 2011 survey that the mean salary for facility managers in the United States is approximately $100,000.
The MSFM program is designed for working professionals, with convenient evening classes and a cohort format that allows students to complete the degree in less than two years while still being able to work full-time and fulfill their personal responsibilities.
A key feature of the program is the opportunity to build strong professional relationships. Our instructors are proven leaders in the field and many of them work full-time in facility management and closely related areas. Our students also work in facility management and related industries, which creates an ideal learning environment in which students learn from both their instructor and their peers. Many of the concepts learned in the classroom can be immediately applied on the job.
Please note that the application deadline to be considered for Fall 2013 acceptance is July 1, 2013.
- Complete the Application online
- A current resume
- Official transcript(s) from any college(s) you have attended
- GRE or GMAT scores, if applicable
- Two (2) recommendation forms from a current or former employer
- $50 application fee
To be eligible for consideration for the Master of Science in Facility Management applicants must:
- Possess an undergraduate degree in one of the following areas of study: facility management, architecture, engineering, construction management, business, or interior design
- Be able to demonstrate two years of verifiable full-time work experience in the facility management field
- Be able to exhibit competency in the following areas: accounting or finance, real estate, project management, operations, and general management
- MGMT810: Business Finance & Investments (3)
- FGMT800: Project Management Applications (3)
- MGMT840: Executive Leadership (3)
- MGMT811: Strategic Financial Decision Making (3)
- MGMT845: Communication Strategies (3)
- FGMT830: Contemporary Issues Managing Tech (3)
- FGMT840: Energy/Sustainability (3)
- FGMT820: Facility Operations (3)
- MGMT825: Quantitative Methods in FM (3)
- FMGT980: Facility Management Capstone (3)
Semester Three (Thesis Option Only)
- FGMT990: Facility Management Thesis (6)
Program Total: 30 credits (36 credits- thesis option)