Associate in Applied Science
Building Construction Management
The Associate degree in Building Construction Management (ABCM), offered through the College of Professional and Continuing Education at Wentworth Institute of Technology provides basic instruction in the core principles of construction management.
Many of our instructors work as leaders in the region's construction industry, bringing a wealth of hands-on experience to match their theoretical expertise. They create a classroom environment in which there is a high level of interaction and design coursework that ties in current issues and challenges in the industry.
Graduates of Wentworth's ABCM program are qualified for professional roles in the construction management industry, such as a field supervisor, estimator, or inspector, and may also move into Wentworth's bachelor's degree programs in Building Construction Management or Project Management. The Bureau of Labor statistics reports that estimators' median annual salary in Massachusetts was close to $70,000 in 2010, with much faster than average projected job growth of 36% nationally through 2020. Inspectors' median annual salary in Massachusetts was close to $54,000 in 2010, with 18% projected national job growth, which is faster than average.
The ABCM program's convenient evening format allows adult learners to pursue their degree while still being able to work full-time and meet their personal obligations. Students may transfer up to 32 credits into the program from prior educational and professional experiences. Depending on the number of credits transferred, students can complete the ABCM degree at Wentworth in as little as two years on a part-time basis.
This program is in candidate status with the American Council for Construction Education (ACCE).
For tuition information, click here.
- Complete the Application online
- Official high school or GED transcript
- Official transcript(s) from any college(s) you have attended
- Current resume
- Online math placement exam (if necessary)
- $50 application fee
Successful applicants for admission should
- Be 22 years of age or older
- Have a minimum of 3 years work experience
- BLDG155: Construction Methods (4)
- MATH225: College Math A (3)
- BLDG150: Contracts & Codes (4)
- MATH230: College Math B (3)
- BLDG115: Construction Graphics (4)
- MATH235: College Math C (3)
- BLDG355: Basic Building Services (4)
- ENGL105: English Composition (3)
- BLDG200: Construction Estimating (4)
- PHYS205: Physics A (3)
- BLDG425: Construction Project Scheduling (4)
- BLDG625: Construction Safety & Risk Management (3)
- MGMT418: Management Law (4)
- BLDG241: Structural Design (4)
- SURV100: Construction Surveying (4)
- ENGL116: Literature and Composition (3)
- MGMT415: Leadership & Management (4)
- ELECTIVE: Humanities/Social Science (lower level) (3)
Degree Total: 64 credits
Students who have earned a Massachusetts State Supervisor License are eligible to receive four (4) credits of advanced standing towards the associate degree in Building Construction for BLDG150 Contracts and Codes.
Students who complete Wentworth’s non-credit Construction Certificate are eligible to receive eight (8) credits of advanced standing towards the associate degree in Building Construction for BLDG155 Construction Methods and BLDG200 Construction Estimating.