For questions about the program, please contact:
Chair of Applied Mathematics
Ira Allen 319 | 617-989-4368
Spring 2015 Applied Math Competitions
Oral Competition: Tuesday, March 31st from 9:00am-5:00pm
Integration Bee: Thursday, April 2nd beginning at 4:00pm in Blount Auditorium
Six cash prizes will be awarded**, one for each Competition Option (see below).
- First Place: $200
- Second Place: $100
- Third Place: $50
The competition is open to all undergraduate degree students at Wentworth Institute of Technology.
To Sign Up:
- Use the links to the forms below
- Presentation Competition Sign Up
- Integration Bee Sign Up
- All contestants must submit their names by 3:00pm on Friday, March 27th to compete in the Oral Competition. You will sign up for a particular one hour time slot. This competition will be limited to no more than the first 16 interested participants. Winners will be notified by email and asked to present their solutions and receive their awards on April 2nd at 4:00pm in Blount Auditorium right before the Integration Bee.
- All contestants must submit their names by 10:00am on Wednesday, April 1st to compete in the Integration Bee.
- You can sign up for both competitions, but the winners of the oral competition will not be considered for the finals of the Integration Bee.
- If you have any questions, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Competition Option Descriptions:
Integration Bee: Remember how spelling bees work? This is a similar style of competition. There may be an initial written elimination round to select 27 finalists, then 5 question rounds of three people competing head-to-head at a time. The top three winners will compete round-robin style to determine final places.
Oral Competition: A progressively harder related series of mathematical logic puzzles which require no particular math background. You are not expected to solve all of them, and will have about 40 minutes to think through your solution before you explain it. You will present your solution to a judge or two, and if selected for a prize, will present your solution during a math club meeting.
*Close relatives of faculty members of the Applied Mathematics are not eligible.